Appjam+ : School’s New Game App Creation Class

Photo Courtesy of goodnews.pylusd.org

Photo Courtesy of goodnews.pylusd.org

BYMS students interested in creating their own apps can now do so with the school’s new ten week after school program Appjam+, which begins on October 3rd.  The classes will continue to be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3:30 – 5:30pm after school in room 304.

Sign ups have begun in the office.  You do not need any previous experience, you just need to bring yourself, remember, only 25 students can sign up for this class, so if you want to sign up, go to Mrs. Gomez before all the spots are gone.

“Students create an app using a mobile app development platform called AppInventor – a block based programming platform that serves as a better introduction to the world of programming and mobile app development,” reported Audrey Auyang, the program director of “Dreams for Schools,” in an interview with The Matador Messenger.

Dreams for Schools was created to inspire and educate students about STEM. They are a parent organization to the Appjam+ program according to the dreamsforschools.org website.

From two schools in 2012, to currently having 17 schools right now in 2017, the AppJam+ program is developing and expanding more and more.  The program also partnered with many colleges and schools according to their appjamplus.com website.

One of the apps that has been developed through the AppJam+ program is called The Revolutionists.  In the app, you are the last person on Earth after a series of horrible events, and you have to find your way to safety.  Another app that has been created is called Powering Down, where you go through a series of mini games that create a story,  according to appjamplus.com.

In addition, the students will have the opportunity to present their mobile app in a final showcase at the PYLUSD Performing Arts Center.  These students will compete with 6 other middle schools from the PYLUSD district, and will have the opportunity to win various prizes.  The showcase will be held on November 29, from 5-8 pm.

“We believe that all students are winners in our program because of their hard work & useful skills they develop. During our Showcase Finale friendly competition though, students can win prizes of Chromebooks, Raspberry Pis, Makey Makeys, Spheros,” reported Auyang.

“The kids enjoy working and bonding with their college mentor that they get to work with the most, as well as learning about mobile applications and seeing an idea they come up with as a team in the beginning become an actual reality at the end of the program,” added Auyang.