Filed under Sports

New NHL Extension Team Plays for Stanley Cup

Oct 17, 2017; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Vegas Golden Knights players celebrate around  left wing David Perron (57) after he scored a game-winning goal in overtime against the Buffalo Sabres at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports

Oct 17, 2017; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Vegas Golden Knights players celebrate around left wing David Perron (57) after he scored a game-winning goal in overtime against the Buffalo Sabres at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports

Photo Courtesy of nesn.com

Photo Courtesy of nesn.com

Las Vegas Golden Knights won the NHL western conference title to play for the Stanley Cup on Sunday May 5, 2018, according to lasvegasreviewjournal.com.

Earlier this summer, the NHL made an expansion team for Las Vegas. They were called the Las Vegas Golden Knights. Throughout sports, expansion teams are known to be the worst team in the league. Golden Knights were placed into the pacific division with Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, and Los Angeles Kings to name a few, according to nhl.com.

At the end of the regular season, Las Vegas ended third in the Western Conference and first in the Pacific Division which qualified the team for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. First round Golden Knights faced Los Angeles Kings and defeated them in a series sweep of 4-0. In the second round they faced San Jose Sharks. The Golden Knights won the series in 6 games, with an ending score 4-2. In the Western Conference Finals, the Golden Knights faced Winnipeg Jets and sweeped the Jets in 5 games, with the finished score 4-1, according espn.com.

In the Stanley Cup Finals, the Golden Knights are favored to win against the Washington Capitals. University of Las Vegas congratulated the Golden Knights via twitter “Congratulations to the @GoldenKnights on the Western Conference title! Good luck in the next round on your quest for the #StanleyCup !#4morewins #VegasBorn #GoKnightsGo”, sportsnews.com.