Filed under Features, Sports

Girl Born with No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest for the Second Time

Photo Courtesy of npr.com

Photo Courtesy of npr.com

Anaya Ellick, a nine year old third grader from Greenbrier Christian Academy, won the Nicholas Maxim National Handwriting contest in Virginia for the second time on April 26, 2018, according to miamiherald.com.

While this may seem normal, for there is one winner every year, there is something special about Ellick; she was born without hands.  Instead, Anaya’s hands “taper down to her wrists,” according to npr.org. In addition, she did not use protheses to achieve this incredible feat, causing this to be an unbelievable event.  “They [the protheses] slow me down,” stated Ellick, according to mnn.com.

Greenbrier Christian Academy principal, Tracy Cox, had much to say about Anaya’s victory.  “Anaya is a remarkable young lady. She does not let anything get in the way of doing what she has set out to do… She is a hard worker and has some of the best handwriting in her class. Her determination is an inspiration to all of us at GCA,” according to npr.org.

According to npr.org, Anaya had always been a determined child.  As a baby, her parents state, she kept her pacifier in her mouth by cupping it in her wrists, and she early on learned how to use a fork and building blocks.  

“She’s really independent—from tying shoes, putting clothes, getting baths,” stated Gary Ellick, Anaya’s father. “[She] was always like ‘I can do it’. So, that just carried on over the years.”

Her first win in the Nicholas Maxim National Handwriting contest was when she was 7 years old, in a regular script.  Her most recent accomplishment was in a cursive script at age nine.

Her mom, Bianca Middleton states that she sometimes struggles to watch Anaya attempt a new task, and that she wants to help her daughter as much as possible.  But she also knows that Anaya wants to do everything on her own, according to today.com

“At the playground, she climbs up ropes, scurries across the monkey bars, and swings as high as she can. Once in a while I have to remind Anaya it’s OK to ask for help,” stated Middleton.

According to newsweek.com, Anaya stated that she is going to try and tackle sports next.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Girl Born with No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest for the Second Time”

1. Bella Jones on May 21st, 2018 2:20 pm

That’s very fascinating how someone with a challenge can overcome it in different ways.

[Reply]

2. Matt Lucey on May 21st, 2018 2:54 pm

I like this article because I think it’s amazing a girl with no hands can even write let alone win a handwriting contest.

[Reply]

3. alexia egdahl on May 24th, 2018 8:51 am

This was so interesting

[Reply]

4. Jenna on May 30th, 2018 11:32 am

Wow that’s amazing that she can do that.

[Reply]

5. nidal on May 30th, 2018 3:04 pm

wow that is really cool

[Reply]

6. Bria Elliott on May 31st, 2018 11:54 am

that is so cool that she can do that

[Reply]

*

• Features

Matador Messenger Publishes “Summer Edition”

• Girl Born with No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest for the Second Time

Breaking News

Fox News Political Analyst/columnist Charles Krauthammer Says He Has weeks to Live

Features

5 Things Most People Thought Are Recyclable, But Aren’t

Features

Blast From The Past: NieR Gestalt

Features

FDA Warns People Against Sunscreen Pills

Features

Five Secret Rooms to Explore in Famous Places

Features

NASA Attempting to Create Coldest Spot in Universe in Box

Features

Research Shows Synesthesia Affects on 1 in 2000 People

• Features

Why Everyone Should Own a Pet Some Time in Their Life

Features

New Robot Puts Together IKEA Furniture