Filed under Sports

Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Photo Courtesy By imgix.bustle.com

Photo Courtesy By imgix.bustle.com

It’s not everyday that you will find a combination of skiing, skateboarding and surfing moulded into one winter sport. First introduced in the 60’s, the sport gained popularity, leading to international events, competitions, and was even introduced in the Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan 1998, according to history

While there are many professional riders in the snowboarding industry, only some took it to the next level, mastering the sport in ways nobody had every thought of. Here are 5 of the best and most influential snowboarders worldwide.

1.Shaun White

Photo Courtesy of imgix.bustle.com.

Shaun White is one of the most well known faces of the sport, known for winning 3 Winter Olympic Gold Medals and 15 X Games Gold Medals in men’s halfpipe competitions. Born in San Diego, California, this international superstar dominates the sport of Snowboarding like no other. White started snowboarding at age 6, receiving his first sponsorship at age 7, and debuting his first X Games competition at age 13. White also was the first ever person to land a double mctwist on a halfpipe, (as he did create it.) White being the highest paid snowboarder in the world has numerous sponsors such as Burton Snowboards, Anon, Red Bull, Volcom, and more, according to sports-reference.com.

2. Travis Rice

Photo Courtesy of variety.com

Travis Rice is an American Snowboard machine, from launching jumps 50 feet into the air from riding spine walls and backcountry steeps. Not only is Rice changing the sport; he’s rewriting the book and redefining the sport of snowboarding. This big mountain freestyler has shot 3 snowboard movies within the past 10 years, 2008 “That’s it, That’s all,” 2011, Art of Flight, and in 2016 Travis collaborated with red Bull to make The Fourth Phase. in 2012 Rice also collaborated with Red Bull to create a backcountry freestyle competition at Baldface Lodge in British Columbia, Canada. The competition was an invitational to some of the world’s best snowboarders, such as Nicolas Muller, Gigi Ruf and Mark McMorris. Coincidentally, the event creator Travis Rice would be the inaugural winner of the competition. Travis Rice has been an incredible influence to the world of snowboarding, collaborating with his sponsors such as Lib tech, Quicksilver, DC Shoes, Union Bindings, Red Bull, Bluebird Wax, Contour, to make his own line of Snowboards, Boots, Goggles, and other goods. Rice is also sponsored by his hometown ski resort in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Travis Rice, (although second), definitely makes the top 10 list as one of the best snowboarders in the world, according to whitelines.

3. Mark McMorris

Photo Coutosy of sbnation

Canadian Snowboarder Mark McMorris has been on of the most promising young snowboarders of his generation. This young and crazy freestylin snowboarder competes regularly in slopestyle competitions and big air competitions. McMorris was the first ever person to land a backside triple cork 1440 and has won back-to-back gold medals throughout 2012 and 2017 at the Winter X Games, as well as many other Silver and Bronze medals. McMorris won Silver in the World Championship Slopestyle competition in Stoneham, and two Bronze medals in the Winter Olympic Slopestyle in 2014 and 2018. McMorris is renowned in the snowboarding world not only for his successes but his failures. In February of 2016 McMorris competed in Shaun White’s Air/Style Big Air competition in Los Angeles. McMorris attempted to land a frontside triple cork 1440, but while landing McMorris’s toe edge was caught which caused him to flip and break his femur bone. After his recovery, McMorris went snowboarding with some friends in Whistler, British Columbia during the late 2017 season. McMorris hit a tree riding, suffering serious, near-fatal injuries. McMorris suffered McMorris suffered a fractured jaw, a fractured left arm, a ruptured spleen, a pelvic fracture, rib fractures and a collapsed left lung. After undergoing multiple surgeries, Mark returned healthy to the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang and still does major competitions today, according to xgames.espn.com.

4. Jeremy Jones

Photo Courtesy of redbull.com

One of the most influential and risk taking snowboarders, American snowboarder Jeremy Jones uses Big Mountain riding as an “energy source.” Born in Cape Cod, Maine, Jeremy fell in love with the sport at 9, receiving sponsorships from Rossignol Snowboards at age 14. Two years later, Jones turned pro competing in snowboard races. Jeremy’s older brothers Todd and Steve invited Jeremy to Valdez, Alaska when Jeremy turned 18, and introduced him into big mountain freeriding. Once Jeremy took his first run on an Alaskan face, he concentrated his snowboarding attention towards big mountain riding. Jones has been featured in many of TGR’s (Teton Gravity Research) snowboarding films, such as The Tangerine Dream, Anomaly and Soul Purpose. Jones has shot movies since 2010, The first movie Deeper came out in 2010, the second one, Further in 2012, and a third one, Higher was released in 2014. The trilogy involves riding some of the most gnarliest runs in the world, traveling to Alaska, Norway, Austria, Nepal, Japan, and many other big mountain regions. Since 2009, Jones left long time sponsor Rossignol to create his own brand of backcountry big mountain freeriding boards called “Jones Snowboards”. Jones Snowboards are now one of the more commonly used snowboards throughout the world, being used in the backcountry’s and even resorts. In 2007, Jones created a non-profit organization POW (Protect Our Winters.) Jones has been an incredible influence to the sport, and continues to ride and help protect the snow that keeps him riding, ispo.com.

5. Xavier De Le Rue

Photo courtesy of snowboarding films and skipass.com

French snowboarder Xavier De Le Rue is a speeding big mountain rider, and has ridden some of the most extreme lines in the world, winning multiple snowboard cross world championship titles, and multiple X-Games Gold Medals. De le Rue has been the winner of the World Champion Freeride World Tour two times in a row in 2008 and 2009, as well as winning in 2010. As well as placing from first to third in 15 other world championship freeride competitions, De Le Rue has been in 17 snowboarder movies, one being in Jeremy Jones’ Deeper. De Le Rue has been awarded 8 times in his expertise of big mountain freeriding, winning “Stand out performance of the year at TransWorld Snowboarding riders pool” in 2010 and 2012. While riding the some of the most dangerous faces and spine walls in the world, Jeremy Jones also recognizes De Le Rue as “hands down the fastest snowboarder alive.” Charging mountain with speed and control, Xavier De Le Rue is one of the best big mountain free riders alive, according to thenorthface.com.

Here are some videos of these 5 snowboarders in action-

Shaun White – Shaun White wins halfpipe gold with epic final run

Travis Rice- Best of Travis Rice

Mark McMorris- Red Bull presents Mark McMorris IN MOTION

Xavier De Le Rue- North Face presents Xavier De Le Rue

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018”

1. Dad on May 23rd, 2018 5:51 pm

Awesome article; I can tell you love snow boarding Son, and you know a lot about it too. Stick with it son, because on of these days your name will be up there with TRice and JJoned. Great writing son!

2. Tim Wang on May 24th, 2018 7:22 pm

I enjoyed your article because it helped me understand the celebrities in snowboarding.

*

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

Oklahoma City Thunder Celebrate Ten Years As a Franchise

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

LeBron James Leaves the Cavaliers for the Lakers

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

New NHL Extension Team Plays for Stanley Cup

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

13 Year Old Kokomo Murase Wins Gold Medal at Women’s X Game “Big Air” Event.

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

EHS and YLHS offer Summer Sports Camps for Incoming Freshmen

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Features

Girl Born with No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest for the Second Time

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

World Strongest Man of 2018

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

85-Year Old Woman Completes Boston Marathon

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

Ditch the Protein Bar and the Power Shake and Grab a Banana and Chocolate Milk Instead

• Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018

Sports

Vanderbilt Wins Second Straight National Women’s Bowling Title

Top 5 Snowboarders of 2018