Filed under Sports

Most Common Injuries Throughout Sports

CHICAGO, IL - APRIL 28:  Derrick Rose #1 of the Chicago Bulls sits on the floor after injuring his knee against the Philadelphia 76ers in Game One of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NBA Playoffs on April 28, 2012 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. NOTE TO USER:  User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  Mandatory Copyright Notice:  Copyright 2012 NBAE (Photo by Gary Dineen/NBAE via Getty Images)

Photo Courtesy Of http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com

CHICAGO, IL - APRIL 28: Derrick Rose #1 of the Chicago Bulls sits on the floor after injuring his knee against the Philadelphia 76ers in Game One of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NBA Playoffs on April 28, 2012 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2012 NBAE (Photo by Gary Dineen/NBAE via Getty Images)

Injuries in a athlete are like nightmares to children. injuries in sports are very common in most people. Injuries can happen at any point at anytime and you won’t even know when.

Although football may be considered a sport in the United States with the most physical contact, in fact some of the most common injuries occur in basketball. Basketball had 120,000 injuries from 2004-2017 as opposed to football’s 119,000, coachad.com. So here are the most common injuries throughout sports.

Tennis Elbow

Tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis is the inflammation of the tendons of the elbow, caused by overuse of the muscles of the forearm. Symptoms of Tennis Elbow are pain, tenderness, and swelling in the elbow and/or forearm. Tennis Elbow, as you guessed, is very common with tennis players. Athletes suffering from Tennis Elbow can treat it by stretching, rest, and physical therapy, orthoinfo.com.

Patellofemoral syndrome

Patellofemoral syndrome is condition in which the cartilage under the kneecap is damaged due to injury or overuse. The most common symptom is knee pain that increases stair climbing or squatting movements. Another symptom is stiffness and/or abnormal walking. Treatments vary but and ice pack and knee brace are said to work the best, mayoclinic.org.

ACL Tear

Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL is a tissue that connects the thigh bone to the shinbone, at the knee. Tears of tissue and ligaments are caused by a sudden twisting motion. Symptoms of a torn ACL are swelling, instability, and pain. Most ACL injuries occur during certain sports such as basketball, soccer, football, skiing, and tennis. Treatment for ACL tears is surgery and physical therapy, orthoinfo.com.

Shin Splints

Shin splints is caused by overuse along the shinbone, the large front bone in the lower leg. Shin splints also occur in athletes who have recently intensified or changed their training routines. A symptom of shin splints is pain. Treatments include rest and ice, runnersworld.com.

Hamstring Strain

Hamstring strain or pulled hamstring is caused by overactive muscles in the back of the thigh. Hamstring Strains are common in athletes that play track, soccer, and basketball. Symptoms are severe pain when exercising, pain in the back of the thigh, tenderness, and bruising. Treatments for A hamstring strain are rest, ice, and compressing, orthoinfo.com.

Groin Pull

Groin pull is the injury or tear of the inner side of the thigh. Groin pull is caused by kicking or twisting in direction while running or jumping. Symptoms of a groin pull are pain while lifting your leg, tenderness and discomfort, and swelling and discoloration. Treatments for groin pull is ice, compression, and painkillers, gameready.com.

Ankle Sprain

Ankle sprain is the most common injury throughout sports. Ankle sprains can occur when the ankle rolls, twists, or turns in a awkward way. Symptoms of a ankle sprain are swelling, pain, range of motion, and bruising. Treatments are rest, ice, compression, and elevation, webmd.com.