Filed under Sports

Russia to Hold 2018 World Cup

rt.com

Russia will hold the 21st FIFA World Cup from June 14 to July 15 in 2018, according to fifa.com.

The World Cup is a national soccer competition contested by men’s national teams who are members of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), according to espnfc.

The main venue of the World Cup will be at Luzhniki Stadium, in Moscow, Russia, according to fifa.com.

The World Cup is a legendary competition that has existed for 88 years, and has been held every four years since 1930, except in 1942 and 1946 due to the second World War, according to espnfc.

The draw for the 2018 world cup will be held in the Kremlin (a citadel in the Russian capital city of Moscow.) The draw will decide to see which confederations are paired together according to espnfc.us.

The World Cup tournament in Russia will play across eleven cities in twelve stadiums. rt.com.

Two-thousand workers in Moscow are already working around the clock to finish modifications to the city’s famous Luzhniki Stadium which will host the opening ceremony match, group games, semi-final and the eventual final of the World Cup competition, according to rt.com.

The area of the ground at Luzhniki has been expanded to 221,000 square miles and 3,000 new seats are currently being added to the stadium, which was also the host arena of the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympic games, according to rt.com.

Those 3,000 new seats, which include VIP and disabled access brings the total capacity of the stadium to 81,000, which makes Luzhniki one of the largest sporting venues in Europe, according to rt.com.

With the tournament only 18 months away, there are worries exist regarding terrorism, infrastructure, hooliganism, and racism from the host country’s fans, according to espnfc.com.

The head of the Russian National Anti-Terrorism Commitee, Igor Kulyuagin, is confident that all measures will be taken to secure the safety of the fans and to prevent all possible terrorist attacks. “Of course, special attention will be paid to providing anti-terrorism safeguards of the infrastructure that will be used for hosting the competition, such as teams’ stadiums, accommodation units and training facilities,” stated Kulyagin, rt.com.

After investigators alleged that football players had suspicious drug-test samples covered up as part of a wider doping scandal in the 2018 World Cup host nation,- (stated FIFA President Gianni Infantino). Not to mention the 92  incidents of discriminatory displays and chants by Russian fans in and around stadiums in the 2014-15 season against a total of 83 for the last two seasons arranged together. espnfc.com.