Major League Baseball opening day began on Monday, April 4 where teams nationwide, excluding the Pirates, Cardinals, Royals, and Mets, who played on Sunday, started the 162 game journey to become World Series Champions. Opening day 2016 was full of crazy moments. Out of all of them, there was five moments that stood out.
5. The fifth moment that got a lot of people very excited was when the star pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, Jake Arrieta, helped mightily as his team beat the the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The score for the game was 9-0 as the Cubs won. This game was played at Angel Stadium and Garrett Richards was the Angels starting pitcher.
4. For their first game the Dodgers faced off against the Padres at Petco Stadium. Clayton Kershaw threw a gem for the Dodgers pitching 7 innings only giving up one hit and allowing one walk. Kershaw had nine strikeouts and pitched a shutout game. The Dodgers were relentless finishing with a score of 15 – 0.
3. The third craziest moment that opening day involved the San Francisco Giants. Specifically Denard Span, Joe Panik, and Buster Posey. They were the people who hit back- to-back-to-back home runs against the Milwaukee Brewers. The Giants won with a score of 12-3, the pitcher that threw to Denard Span, Joe Panik, and Buster Posey was reliever Ariel Pena.
2. The Orioles had a nail biting game. The score was tied, 2-2, going into the bottom of the 9th inning with 2 outs. Matt Wieters hit a walk off single scoring Mark Trumbo to give the Orioles their 1st win of the season. After this walk off single Adam Jones, an outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles, resurrected his tradition of smashing a pie into the face of who ever had the best game, but only if the team won.
1. Last, but certainly not least was the Colorado Rockies shortstop Trevor Story. He made his big league debut on Monday April 4th. He went up in his first at bat of his MLB career against Zack Greinke and hit a home run. Then, he came to the plate again and hit another home run. The Colorado Rockies ended up winning 10-5 against the Arizona Diamondbacks.