Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ Coming out on April 21st

techradar.com

Samsung took the wraps off a premium smartphone that it hopes will at long last get consumers to stop talking about that other smartphone, according to usatoday.com.

The company has now confirmed the Galaxy S8 release date: April 21 for the US, and April 28 for everywhere else (including the UK) – although it hasn’t given specific information on territories such as Australia, stated techradar.com.

There are two versions of the S8: the standard Galaxy S8 with a 5.8-inch screen and the bigger S8 Plus with a 6.2-inch screen. Both are available for preorder on March 30th and will be shipping in the US on April 21st. Pricing, as always with Samsung, is up to the carriers — but you can expect them to command a premium price; the early word is that it will start at $720, as reported by theverge.com.

Samsung’s redesign makes the S8’s 5.8-inch screen absolutely “pop.” There’s no more physical home button, and barely a bezel. That means the screen takes up roughly 83% of the phone’s face for tapping and viewing. If the S7’s display felt generous before, this is positively expansive, according to cnet.com.

As a consequence, Samsung’s logo no longer features on the front, and the physical home button is replaced with a digital on-screen icon – in a similar manner to rival Android phones from Huawei and LG, stated bbc.com.

As with its predecessors, the S8 devices are water and dust resistant—and yes, a handset survived when dropped into a tank of water. Although, these are not ruggedized phones that you’d want to intentionally drop onto a hard surface for fun, explained usatoday.com.

These phones are incredibly well-designed. There are no seams, only the barest of camera bumps, and everything seems milled down to sub-millimeter tolerances. Many of the design touches are evolutions of the S7 Edge and Note 7 but refined to their Platonic ideals, according to theverge.com.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 camera hasn’t really been given much of an upgrade compared to the Galaxy S7, which will be a bit of a disappointment for some. The Galaxy S6 had a good snapper and yet Samsung still decided to upgrade it – but no same luck this year reported techradar.com.

The rear camera on both phones is a 12-megapixel dual pixel shooter with optical image stabilization and an F1.7 aperture. Samsung explains that the image processing has been improved, leading to shots with less blur and less “noise,” stated usatoday.com.

“Samsung says it’s done work on the software side to improve picture quality, and in my short time with it I found it to be significantly faster than the camera on the Galaxy S7 Edge,” explained  Dieter Bohn, a reporter for theverge.com.

The fingerprint scanner is now on the back of the phone, next to the camera, and “it’s a bit too high up for our liking, meaning we’re more inclined to use the facial recognition or even the iris scanner to open the phone,” reported techradar.com.

Additionally, Samsung pre-announced Bixby, an AI-voice assistant you can summon by pressing a new button on the side of the device. It replaces the S Voice feature on prior Samsung phones, and does not yet incorporate the smarts from Viv, the company Samsung bought last year that was co-founded by the individuals behind Siri, according to usatoday.com.

Bixby has three main modes: a short press of the button takes you to Bixby Home (you can also swipe over to it from the home screen), long-pressing the button turns on Bixby’s voice features, and there’s a small button on the camera app for Bixby’s augmented reality features, explained theverge.com.

Bixby Voice is the Siri/Google Voice Search/Amazon Alexa component that you speak commands to. However, it’ll be limited at launch. You can ask it to toggle your Wi-Fi settings, share a photo with someone and perform other phone-centric tasks, but you can’t launch an internet search, like looking up the weather or asking when your favorite restaurant’s going to close, explained cnet.com.

There’s also Bixby Home, “which so far as I can tell is a giant, random set of information cards for things like your smart light bulbs, fitness data, local news and weather, and whatever else Samsung thinks belongs in a virtual assistant home screen.” It looks like every widget screen you’ve ever seen on a phone, which is to say it looks like sort of a mess that you probably won’t use very much, reported theverge.com.

Bixby Vision will feel eerily familiar to anyone who’s ever used Google Goggles or Bing Vision on a throwback Lumia phone. A camera feature, it uses optical image recognition to extract text (OCR), identifies objects and read QR codes. You can scan a book cover to shop for it and learn more about wine through partner Vivino. It can use Google Translate to translate text in 52 languages, and Pinterest to assist with image search , stated cnet.com.

Samsung also has a range of accessories including a revamped virtual reality headset that is now accompanied by its own motion-sensing controller, and a second-generation 360-degree camera capable of better-detailed images than before, according to bbc.com.

The S8 will feature a Samsung Connect app that will let you compare the phone to Samsung IoT devices, as well as brands connected through the Samsung Connect Home smart Wi-Fi system, reported usatoday.com.

However, there’s only a 3000-mAh non-removable battery in the Samsung Galaxy S8, which is the same as last year – and with more pixels to power on the front of the phone (thanks to the longer aspect ratio and display) that’s something to think about, stated techradar.com.

It could explain why Samsung has limited the screen resolution on the Galaxy S8 to Full HD by default, with users needing to look into the settings and boost the sharpness manually, techradar.com further stated.