Filed under News

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens Resigns, Amid Scandal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Governor of Missouri Eric Greitens (Rep.) announced his resignation from office on May 29, 2018. Amid allegations of sexual assault and scandal clouded Greitens from criminal investigation and inquiries of privacy charges involving a former mistress, to possible campaign finance violations and alleged misuse of a charity for political donor purposes, according to Politico

Greitens said during a news conference after his resignation, “This ordeal has been designed to cause an incredible amount of strain on my family. Millions of dollars of mounting legal bills, endless personal attacks designed to cause maximum damage to family and friends, legal harassment of colleagues, friends and campaign workers, and it’s clear that for the forces that oppose us, there is no end in sight.” Greitens added, “I cannot allow those forces to continue to cause pain and difficulty to the people that I love,” according to kansascity.com

The 44-year old former Navy SEAL has been charged for invasion-of-privacy, and is being investigated for allegedly tampering with computer data disclosing charity donor lists to his political fundraiser in 2015 without permission. Attorney Kim Gardner from the St. Louis Circuit said her office has reached “fair and just resolution” on criminal charges against Greitens, according to fox news

Days after indictment, Greitens left leadership role with the Republican Governors Association, canceled public appearances, and avoided attention as some lawmakers called for the resignation of the former Governor. Greitens wrote on Facebook shortly after he was released from jail on Feb. 22, “This will not for a moment deter me from doing the important work of the great people of Missouri.” While Greitens resignation will take effect on Friday June 1st, Lt. Gov. Michael L. Parson (Rep.) will take over for the rest of Greitens term, ending in 2021, of  according to nytimes

Although allegations and charges of invasion-of-privacy have been dropped, a second felony is pending regarding computer tampering. Cole County judge allowed subpoenas issued by lawmakers investigating Greitens to go forward, ruling against the former governor. Leaving behind a brief legacy as Governor of Missouri, allegations will continue to rise, according to usatoday.com