Filed under News, Showcase

New Yorba Linda Library and Arts Center to Open in 2020

New technology, art and dance studio, a black box theatre and more are being added to the new library and arts center

Photo Courtesy of newylpl.com

Photo Courtesy of newylpl.com

An outdoor children’s area, study rooms, improved technology, art and dance studio, and a gallery space are just a few of the additions that will be featured in the new Yorba Linda Library and arts center set  to open in the summer of 2020 according to griffinstructures.com.

This new library and a new arts center, both being constructed by Griffin Structures, has an estimated cost of $52.1 million according ocregister.com.The current library is scheduled to remain open until the opening day of the new facility according to yorbalindaca.gov.

The library, which is two stories tall and 45,000 square feet, and the arts center, which is approximately 13,500 square feet, will be located north of Yorba Linda off of Lakeview Avenue. It will be about three blocks away from the current Yorba Linda Public Library according to yorbalindaca.gov.

“The new Library will accommodate the community’s changing needs and increased demands for services and materials. This site will incorporate an arts center to address needs identified in the Parks and Recreation Master Plan as well as outdoor areas for community events,” according to  griffinstructures.com.

Some of the main additions that will be added to the new library include a children’s area, larger collections area, Friends of the Library bookstore, study rooms, and much improved technology features. The new art center will include an arts and dance studio, gallery display area, and a 250 seat theatre according to griffinstructures.com.

Amy Paino, a librarian in children services, believes the community will benefit in many ways, “With over 1,000 visitors per day there is a demand for more seating, study space, computers, and more. There will be space to house more materials such as books and media, but also non-traditional materials such as musical instruments, sewing machines, and more.  

Paino added, “In fact, the newest non-traditional item that may be checked out are telescopes! The library will offer a place for children, tweens, teens and adults to hang out and learn.  The children’s department is known for its stellar programming and in the new building the community can look forward to an amazing family place to enhance early literacy through storytimes, play and wonderful materials.”

Paino also believes the changes will benefit the staff workers at the library “As a staff member who has been with the City of Yorba Linda for over 10 years, I look forward to a new modern building that has the space to fill the growing needs of our community.  A favorite part of my job is storytelling and I look forward to a new storytime theater that will accommodate more people to enjoy our wonderful programs.

“Staff will be available to help patrons away from the desk by utilizing iPads and other mobile devices.  We are looking forward to a safe, eye-appealing building that people will want to visit for more than just checking out books,” added Paino.

The first Yorba Linda Library opened in 1913 and later moved to its current location to serve the growing population in 1959 and was remodeled in 1970 adding 18,000 square feet, according to santiagolibrarysystem.org.

Paino stated, “We are thrilled to be moving forward with plans for the new building and look forward to this exciting time for Yorba Linda.”