Filed under News

Toxic Caterpillars Overrun London

Back to Article
Back to Article

Toxic Caterpillars Overrun London

Photo Courtesy by MNN.com

Photo Courtesy by MNN.com

Photo Courtesy by MNN.com

Numerous oak processionary moths (OPM) have overrun London, causing people to get multiple illnesses such as rashes, vomiting, and asthma attacks, according to mnn.com.

Even though these caterpillars are native in the United Kingdom, they have been found in large numbers at this time of year, according to dailymail.co.uk.

The caterpillars have long, white hair on their body and have gray skin, according to sciencealert.com.

British Forestry officials say that these caterpillars might have accidentally come to the United Kingdom from Dutch trees imported for a housing development in Kew, South West London, according to telegraph.co.uk.

These larvae are toxic because the hairs on them contain thaumetopoein, an irritating protein, and once released as a defense mechanism can cause sickness. If touched by people or animals, the caterpillar will release the hairs, sending them into the flesh, according to nytimes.com.

A caterpillar contains 62,000 hairs which can eject if it is threatened, according to bbc.com.

“At best, you can get contact dermatitis( a skin condition in which the skin becomes red, swollen, and sore causing irritation and itchiness). At worst, you can die.You can go into anaphylactic shock and have your airways close up. The airborne hairs set up a whole different ball game,”  stated Jason Dombroskie, an entomologist at Cornell University, according to arstechnica.com

Residents have been warned to avoid contact with the caterpillars. Multiple gardeners have come into contact with them and have devised a solution on how to get rid of the infestation in their backyards. Gardeners have had to burn their lawns, according to livescience.com.

To avoid health risks, officials from the British Forestry Commision have asked people to do the following:

• Stay away from nests or caterpillars

• Do not let children touch or approach nests or caterpillars

• Do not let animals touch or approach nests or caterpillars; or try removing nests or caterpillars yourself.

Readers interested in learning more can visit techtimes.com.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Toxic Caterpillars Overrun London”

1. Vanessa on May 21st, 2018 12:24 pm

I enjoyed your article and would like to know more about the food that the caterpillars eat.

2. Bella Jones on May 21st, 2018 2:18 pm

Wow now i know not to go to London

3. Adam Torres on May 22nd, 2018 10:16 am

I enjoyed your article and would like to know more about this “invasion” that is happening in London.Plus I feel bad for those who are living in the UK and have to suffer with those toxic caterpillars swarming around their cities.I wonder if exterminators get paid more now with those caterpillars all over the area.

4. Adam Torres on May 29th, 2018 9:14 am

I wonder if exterminators get paid more with those caterpillars roaming around the UK

*

Toxic Caterpillars Overrun London