Filed under News, Sports

Arizona University Scandal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Arizona University Scandal

Photo courtesy by Arizona Daily Star

Photo courtesy by Arizona Daily Star

Photo courtesy by Arizona Daily Star

Arizona University Men’s Basketball coach, Sean Miller, was wiretapped by the FBI and admitted to attempting to paying Freshman DeAndre Ayton 100 thousand dollars on February 24, 2018, reported ESPN.com.

Miller was on the phone with ASM sports associate, Chris Hawkins, during this time Miller discussed trying to pay 100 thousand dollars to ensure star freshman DeAndre Ayton signed with the Wildcats. Ayton denied that Miller offered him anything else then his no pay scholarship in which he accepted. Miller stated about this incident,”I never have, and I never will,” to washingtonpost.com.

Miller did not coach the overtime loss to Oregon as he is currently the subject to a federal prosecution. The Arizona administration is unsure if Miller will continue coaching at Arizona. Rightnow Miller is on administrative leave during the prosecution, according to nytimes.com.

If Miller would be fired Arizona University would have to pay him 5.15 million dollars for being fired without cause. Since this is a cause, Arizona would have to pay him 10.74 million dollars, ESPN.com.

At the moment, Arizona’s coaching staff is unsure if Miller will return before the tournament, but its is likely that he will be in prosecution when the season is over.