Filed under News

U.S Reopens After a Three Day Shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

U.S Reopens After a Three Day Shutdown

Photo courtesy of TheWashingPost.com

Photo courtesy of TheWashingPost.com

Photo courtesy of TheWashingPost.com

The United States Government reopened after President Trump signed a short-term spending bill that will fund the government through February 8th, ending the weekend-long government shutdown.

President Trump signed the bill late Monday night, January 22, 2018, tweeting, “Big win for Republicans as Democrats cave on Shutdown. Now I want a big win for everyone, including Republicans, Democrats and DACA, but especially for our Great Military and Border Security. Should be able to get there. See you at the negotiating table!” according to CBS news.

The Government Shutdown began on Friday night, January 19, 2018. The cause of the shutdown was due to the failed attempt to pass a spending bill by the Federal Government, the first Government shutdown since 2013. The process complicated many lives- those of federal workers, and millions of Americans who rely on them, not to mention the United States military who weren’t getting paid during the time period, according to WashingtonPost.com.

The three day long shutdown was the first Government Shutdown of the Trump administration, no telling it to be the last. The bill President Trump signed that will help fund the United States Government will only last for the next two and a half weeks, throughout February 8th, according to Vox.com

The Government didn’t just reopen right after Trump signed the funding bill. The Senate had to vote to reopen the Government after 81 Senators broke the filibuster that shut it down. Before the Government reopened, Democratic leader Chuck Schumer, Senator of New York stated, “In a few hours, the government will reopen, we have a lot to do,” according to nytimes.com