Filed under News

Tokyo Pumps Radioactive Water Into The Pacific Ocean

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy Of National Geographic

Photo Courtesy Of National Geographic

Photo Courtesy Of National Geographic

One of the world’s worst nuclear disasters will be dumped into the sea. Takashi Kawamura, chairman of Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), told Foreign Media that nearly 777,000 tons of water tainted with tritium, a byproduct of the nuclear process that is notoriously difficult to filter out of water, will be dumped into the Pacific Ocean as part of a multibillion-dollar recovery effort following the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011, according to newsweek.

While much progress has been made in cleaning up the area exposed to the nuclear disaster, the company has yet to deal with the water used to cool the damaged reactors, causing it to be mixed in with tritium.

Some of the expressways in Tokyo have been closed due to heavy rains. Fukushima is a mere 140 miles north of Tokyo. Many residents have expressed concern that the activities going on at Fukushima may affect Tokyo, stated fukushimawatch.

This isn’t the first time Tokyo has experienced a public water scare. After the tsunami in 2011, the Fukushima disaster caused Tokyo’s tap water to exceed safety levels for infants. The radiation levels were 210 becquerels of iodine-131 per liter of water, which is twice the recommended limit for infants. Despite these concerns, the Japanese government insisted that the radiation in tap water did not pose a threat to public health, fukushimawatch.

“They say that it will be safe because the ocean is large so it will be diluted, but that sets a precedent that can be copied, essentially permitting anyone to dump nuclear waste into our seas,” she continued, stated newsweek.