Filed under News

CA High Schools and Middle Schools May Have Later Start Times With Proposed Law

Law SB328 states school can start no later than 8:30

Photo Courtesy of today.com

A new California law, requiring all middle and high schools to start no earlier than 8:30 cleared the Assembly Education Committee in early July, and if the bill comes to law, it will go effect in July 2020, according to CBS Los Angeles.

The bill was sponsored by Senator Anthony Alejandra. Research has found  that students who get 8 or more hours of sleep a night are less likely to fall asleep in class, drink caffeine, or engage in dangerous behavior, Huffpost stated.

Some people are arguing that the 20 extra minutes of sleep isn’t going to do much. Parents also need to go to work at a certain time, so some kids

Throughout the country, 400 other districts have adopted a later start time and have seen attendance and grades improve, according to CBS Los Angeles. CBS Los Angeles

People have mixed emotions about the new start times. “Most of the time because of all the traffic, we’re still late. And then I get a detention because I’m 10 minutes late.” An eighth grader from CBS stated.

Schools in Davis and Sacramento have already changed their start time. The goal is to allow students to get more rest, which could lead to a better performance in the classroom, CBS stated.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, Centers for disease control and prevention, American Medical Association, and The American Academy of Sleep Medicine have stated that students starting school any earlier is unhealthy.