Filed under News

Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless

Courtesy+of+Woodsboro+Elementary.
Courtesy of Woodsboro Elementary.

Courtesy of Woodsboro Elementary.

Courtesy of Woodsboro Elementary.

Sixth grade students at Woodsboro Elementary School have been recycling bottles, cans, glass, and other products and to create care packages filled with personal items for the homeless throughout Orange County.

“The students then helped assemble over 150 individual kits to be distributed through Orange County Social Services to the homeless population in the community,” reported Michelle Grimsley, sixth grade teacher, in an interview with The Matador Messenger.

“ Considering how this is our first time initiating this community service project, I can speak on behalf of the 6th grade teachers in saying that we are very proud of our students’ efforts in participating with this recycling project,”  reported Gayane Keshishian, sixth grade teacher, in an interview with The Matador Messenger.

Keshishian also wished to set some new goals next year, “As a personal goal for my class next year, I would love to see 100% participation in terms of collecting recyclables.  Majority of my students did participate and were very motivated—so much so that they even collected recyclables within their neighborhoods.  However, I want to ensure that everyone lends a helping hand,” added Keshishian.

The Woodsboro classes raised well over $1000 for the packages, and are planning to do this for many years. In return, the whole sixth grade has been treated a field trip to Disneyland, California on June 13.

“My favorite ride at Disneyland ….. hmmmm….I’d have to say Hyper Space Mountain, because I like thrill rides.  But then again, I do like It’s a Small World because of the positive message for our world!” reported Grimsley.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

13 Responses to “Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless”

1. Danya Ali on August 31st, 2017 10:40 am

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that recycling bottles, cans, etc. can help the homeless.

2. Katie F. on August 31st, 2017 12:54 pm

I enjoyed reading this article

3. morgan on August 31st, 2017 1:11 pm

Great job on this article. I was one of those students who did that last year i had sooooo much fun doing it and would do it again in a second. I would like to thank Mrs. Grimsley

4. Britton Moore on August 31st, 2017 1:23 pm

Wow this is so cool! Last year I helped with this project and it was super fun to help other people and put the care packages together! Now I am at BYMS as a 7th grader and this is so cool that you wrote about woodsboro!!!!!

5. Jayleen on September 3rd, 2017 3:07 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that by recycling bottles, cans, glass, and other products you can create care packages.

6. Myles on September 4th, 2017 11:06 am

I enjoyed reading about sixth graders help recycle for the homless

7. Emma Bennett on September 4th, 2017 6:05 pm

Great article Ashlynn.

Emma Bennett Reply:

I enjoyed reading your article because I was part of this experience. I learned that with a little hard work you can change someones life.

8. alma on September 4th, 2017 7:34 pm

it was hard work for it but they had fun

9. Courtney Hatch on September 4th, 2017 11:04 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because I learned that they got to go to Disneyland because they worked hard.

10. veronica villagomez on September 5th, 2017 7:23 pm

Hey good job Woodsboro kids and good cause. I too do volunteering for the homeless but I had never thought of that I think that I’m going to start and tell my volunteering group to start doing this. Thank you for this inspiring and kind idea.

11. maelina on September 5th, 2017 9:45 pm

I love how they are so kind to give
    I enjoyed reading your article because I learned giving to the homeless is a great thing

12. Nathan Ruhe on September 9th, 2017 6:17 pm

thats really nice of them.

• Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless

Blue Hole Spotted in the Great Barrier Reef

• Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless

News

California- The First State To Ban Sale Of “Puppy Mill” Pets In Pet Stores

• Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless

News

PYLUSD Sponsors “Empowered: Women in Industry Conference”

• Woodsboro Sixth Grade Students Recycled Cans and Bottles For the Homeless