Filed under News

6 Herbs that will Repel Unwanted Insects

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo courtesy of MotherNatureNetwork.com

It’s a beautiful evening outside. The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. Nothing can ruin this perfect evening, except for one thing, the bugs.

Those pesky bugs. How do you get rid of them? Spray that makes your nose hurt? Those little clips that you have to carry around everywhere? Or… maybe something as easy as using some natural bug repellent, herbs.

“Most plants contain compounds that they use in preventing attack from phytophagous (plant eating) insects” PMC (US National Library of Medicine) reports. “One of the most widely used ingredients in store-bought conventional bug sprays for personal use is N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide, or DEET, as it’s commonly known. DEET, which is designed to repel, rather than kill, insects” reported WellnessMama.com.

Another benefit of using natural plants and herbs to deter bugs is that people can reduce the use of DEET and its negative effects on the environment.

“Duke University pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia, in studies on rats, found that frequent and prolonged DEET exposure led to diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes, and concluded that humans should stay away from products containing it.”

“But other studies have shown that while a few people have sensitivity to DEET applications, most are unaffected when they use DEET products on a sporadic basis according to the instructions on the label,” reported  ScientificAmerican.com  

Basil 

Basil repels flies and mosquitoes. Basil’s repelling skills is best when potted and put in front of doorways and wherever you like to relax. You can also use basil as a insect repelling spray/oil. Want to see the recipe? Go to Step In 2’s website for the recipe.

Lavender 

Lavender has been a loved sent for fragrance and laundry loads. People the the sent, but surprisingly, insects hate it. Place dried lavender tightly in bundles and set them neatly around your house. This amazing plant repels all flying insects such as gnats, flies, and mosquitoes. You can also extract the oils to make a insect repellent spray. Simply spray your spray on you when venturing outside you house. Don’t worry, the Everything Lavender website will teach you how to extract the oils out of a lavender plant properly. 

Lemongrass

This amazing plant contains a special oil called citronella, that is found in most insect repelling candles. Lemongrass usually grows up to 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

Lemon Thyme

This herb can live in rocky or dry, shallow soil. These plants will thrive in your herb garden along with your Basil, Lavender, and Lemongrass. To extract the repelling part, you must bruise the leaves. To do this, simply cut of a few stems and rub them in your hands. 

Mint

Make sure you plant it in a pot. IT CAN BE VERY HARD TO REMOVE after planting. To get the effect, mix with some Apple Cider Vinegar or cheap vodka. Scatter the mixtures around your garden to make your plants insect free. 

Rosemary 

You can make an amazing repellent by boiling 1 quart of dried Rosemary in a quart of water for 20-30 minutes. Then strain the liquid into a container at least half a gallon in size. Inside should have 1 quart of cold water. Put a cap on the mixture and store in the fridge. Add the mixture to squirt bottles for the best effect.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “6 Herbs that will Repel Unwanted Insects”

1. Kylie Toblesky on November 3rd, 2016 3:08 pm

I like how you put the instructions of how to make all of the bug repellants.

2. Natalie Pronk on November 4th, 2016 1:17 pm

Great job! I like how you included a variety of herbs that will work!

3. Meagan Boots on November 7th, 2016 7:31 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that you can use everyday herbs to make an environmentally safe bug repellent to save your beautiful plants.

4. Katie Davila on November 8th, 2016 4:47 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because I found a good source of information about how to keep despicable insects away with natural herbs.

5. Jocelyn Castaneda on November 8th, 2016 10:50 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned ways to get rid of bugs and many interesting facts.

6. Joshua on November 9th, 2016 11:22 pm

Interesting, very interesting, I’m not a fan about bugs so I may plant these herbs around my house.

7. Rafe DeBlasio on November 10th, 2016 6:56 am

I enjoy reading your article because I learned that herbs can keep bugs away. I also learned what herbs do what.

8. Erin Lee on January 31st, 2017 2:19 pm

I was surprised to hear that herbs can serve as a bug repellent. This article was very informative. Great job!

9. Trevor Boner on March 2nd, 2017 8:47 pm

I learned from your article that there are some plants that repel bugs.

*