Filed under Local News

Salt & Straw Coming to Downtown Disney

Photo Courtesy of ocregister,com

Photo Courtesy of ocregister,com

Featuring everything from Strawberry Honey Balsamic ice cream to a Gummy Worm Surprise Sorbet, Salt and Straw, a  Portland based ice creamery, will be coming later in 2018 to Downtown Disney.

“I can barely collect myself off the floor,” said CEO Kim Malek, the founder of Salt and Straw.  In 2011, Kim started this company with her cousin Tyler Malek, Salt and Straw’s head ice cream maker, according to ocregister.com.

“I’m so astonished that we have this opportunity. We are a small company and we’ve been careful about how we’ve grown, and to have an opportunity to work with an institution that’s (so much) a part of the U.S. – we can’t even express how honored we are,” Kim Malek said in a telephone interview with Anne Valdespino (OC Register reporter), according to ocregister.com.

If Malek sounds modest she needn’t be. Her so-called “small” operation began serving eight flavors from a cart and is now the largest small-batch ice cream entity in the world, with 300 flavors, four scoop shops, a soft-serve dessert bar – Wiz Bang Bar – in Portland, five locations in Los Angeles, one in San Francisco, and another headed to Seattle this summer.  Salt & Straw is also available in New York City, at Daily Provisions Cafe, as part of a partnership with Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, according to ocregister.com.

“It’s really a dream to be opening in Downtown Disney District, a gathering place for Orange County locals and visitors from around the world,” says Kim Malek, according to pdxmonthly.com.

For Salt & Straw, businesswise, this move is stratospheric—millions of people from across the world visit Disneyland every year. But, in a larger sense, perhaps it could usher in a shift on the Disney side, too. Big corporate outfits are associated with saccharine, low-quality family fare. Showcasing Salt & Straw, with its emphasis on community collaborations and locally connected flavors, is a fresh move for the entertainment behemoth, according to pdxmonthly.com.

“We’re proud to serve ice cream with high levels of butterfat that makes our ice cream rich and decadent while the uniqueness comes from our fearless ice cream mastermind, Tyler, and his creative flavor pairings as well as the local artisans, farmers, and chefs we partner with to provide the freshest and most interesting local ingredients!,”stated Lan in an interview with the Matador Messenger.

The shop’s menu will focus on scoops served in handmade waffle cones, pints that are hand packed to ensure enough brownie chunks or other add-ins get into each carton and grab-and-go single-serve containers so customers don’t have to wait in line or do tastings if they already know their favorite flavors according to ocregister.com.

Prices are not yet available for the Downtown Disney location but Los Angeles scoop shops charge $10.50 for a pint; $3.90 for a kid’s scoop; $4.90 for a single scoop (add 50 cents for two flavors); and $6.90 for a double , according to ocregister.com.