Filed under Local News

Sixty OC Riverbed and Civic Center Homeless to be Treated, Housed Under New $1.6 Million Contract

Sixty of the homeless people recently removed from the Orange County Civic Center and riverbed tent cities will be targeted to be moved into permanent housing under a new $1.6 million contract approved Tuesday, May 8, by the Orange County Board of Supervisors, according to the ocregister.

Paul Leon from the Illumination Foundation told the OC Register that his nonprofit will begin sheltering the homeless in recuperative-care centers or nonprofit motels while they undergo treatment.

“We have a whole team ready to go,” Leon said. “For us, it’s a pipeline – we have people moving into apartments, permanent housing. And as they go through, it opens more capacity for us to have new clients, reported kfiam640.iheart.

Most of those homeless had been living in county shelters and motels in Santa Ana and Anaheim ever since the county cleared out the homeless camps in the riverbed and the Civic Center. Nearly 700 people were moved out of the riverbed in Anaheim and another 230 were removed from a camp in the Santa Ana Civic Center, according to kfiam640.iheart.com.

The nonprofit will help “prevent the return of homeless encampments at the Civic Center and Riverbed,” OC  Supervisor Andrew Do said, stated by kfiam640.iheart.

Poverty, unemployment, lack of affordable housing, poor physical or mental health, drug and alcohol abuse, gambling, family and relationship breakdown, domestic violence physical and/or sexual abuse. All these factors can cause a person to become homeless. They can also be one of the reasons why a person remains homeless, according to salvationarmy.