Filed under Local News

Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row”

Photo Courtesy Of ocdaily.net

Photo Courtesy Of ocdaily.net

Along the Santa Ana River Trail, homeless encampments are becoming a more common sight. Citizens nearby the river are worried that the trail will grow similar to the Los Angeles “Skid Row.” In fact, the river is getting it’s own nickname as “Skid River.”

Officials have set up shelters all around Orange including Fullerton and Anaheim, and many more are still being made. Orange County Supervisor Shawn Nelson told the OC Register that he has proposed opening temporary homeless shelters on county-owned land in Irvine, Huntington Beach, and Santa Ana.

According to Mike Lyster, who is the Communications Officer of Anaheim, the homeless are going to the Santa Ana Riverbed for a variety of reasons. “Anaheim has rules that you can’t stay in city parks or public streets,” Lyster stated in an interview Matador Messenger. “The Santa Ana River, however, isn’t an illegal place to stay if you’re homeless. Also, the riverbed doesn’t get a lot of attention.”

So far, about 422 people are living in the homeless encampments along the river. The Santa Ana City Council announced that they want to use 100 acres of the land they own in Irvine to help the hundreds of homeless. Every day, more and more volunteers are helping out to not let the Santa And River become Orange County’s “Skid Row.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row””

1. Jenna on October 23rd, 2017 12:24 pm

I’m happy for the officials that there trying to kick them out of the river bed. they should try to get a job

[Reply]

*

• Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row”

Local News

Red Tide Continues in SoCal

• Local News

Sixty OC Riverbed and Civic Center Homeless to be Treated, Housed Under New $1.6 Million Contract

Local News

Orphaned Manatee Welcomed at Cincinnati

Local News

Southern California Rattlesnake Bites on the Rise

Local News

Taco Bell to Introduce Hot Sauce-Flavored Tortilla Chips

Local News

Orange County Enacts Anti-Sanctuary State Resolution

Local News

PYLUSD Lobbies California for Better Funding

Campus Life

Reach Foundation Sponsors Shamrock ‘n Run

Local News

New Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience Opens In Downtown Disney

Local News

Fire in Anaheim Displaces 11 Residents from Apartments