Filed under Local News

Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row”

Photo Courtesy Of ocdaily.net

Photo Courtesy Of ocdaily.net

Along the Santa Ana River Trail, homeless encampments are becoming a more common sight. Citizens nearby the river are worried that the trail will grow similar to the Los Angeles “Skid Row.” In fact, the river is getting it’s own nickname as “Skid River.”

Officials have set up shelters all around Orange including Fullerton and Anaheim, and many more are still being made. Orange County Supervisor Shawn Nelson told the OC Register that he has proposed opening temporary homeless shelters on county-owned land in Irvine, Huntington Beach, and Santa Ana.

According to Mike Lyster, who is the Communications Officer of Anaheim, the homeless are going to the Santa Ana Riverbed for a variety of reasons. “Anaheim has rules that you can’t stay in city parks or public streets,” Lyster stated in an interview Matador Messenger. “The Santa Ana River, however, isn’t an illegal place to stay if you’re homeless. Also, the riverbed doesn’t get a lot of attention.”

So far, about 422 people are living in the homeless encampments along the river. The Santa Ana City Council announced that they want to use 100 acres of the land they own in Irvine to help the hundreds of homeless. Every day, more and more volunteers are helping out to not let the Santa And River become Orange County’s “Skid Row.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row””

1. Jenna on October 23rd, 2017 12:24 pm

I’m happy for the officials that there trying to kick them out of the river bed. they should try to get a job

[Reply]

*

• Officials Are Working Hard To Not Let The Santa Ana River Bed Become Orange County’s “Skid Row”

Local News

PYLUSD Sponsors “Women In Industry Conference”

Local News

Pixar Fest Coming To DisneyLand

Local News

Amid Allegations Of Sexual Harassment Forces O.C. Congressional Campaign Manager’s Resignation

Local News

SeaWorld Removes Hundreds Of Employees From Their Staff

Local News

Canyon Fire 2 Has Been Fully Contained

• Local News

PYLUSD Sponsors “Empowered: Women in Industry Conference”

Breaking News

Hundreds Evacuate As Brush Fire Makes Way To Corona

Local News

Volunteers “Walk Out Of The Darkness” To Prevent Suicide

Local News

Esperanza’s ROTC Offers Training and College Scholarship Opportunities

Local News

OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High