Filed under Local News

OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

latimes.com

latimes.com

Prior to 2015, authorities never had to keep the public out of the waters off Huntington Beach because of shark activity. However, just this year there have been three closures, including one earlier this month after several large sharks were seen in the water about 150 yards off the coast, according to latimes.com.

Chris Lowe, Director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach, has been studying the recent shift in great white behavior in Southern California. He and others have seen groups of great whites hanging out close to shore in areas he describes as “hot spots” in places like Santa Monica, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, Surfside in Seal Beach, San Onofre and, most recently, Long Beach near Alamitos Bay, according to the ocregister.com.

“We should be worried, to an extent,” Lowe stated in an interview with the ocregister.com. “But we should also be encouraged.”

A woman was bitten by a shark while surfing at San Onofre State Beach on Saturday, April 29. Last Memorial Day, another woman training for triathlons nearly died after being mauled by a great white shark while swimming off Corona del Mar, according to ocregister.com.

Sharks have also been sighted at Poche Beach, Capistrano Beach, and San Onofre State Beach, where a woman was bitten recently. She remains in a medically induced coma. Wednesday, April 26th, a great white shark was spotted off the coast of Dana Point feeding on a dead humpback whale, stated abc7.com.

“Ocean temperatures are rising, causing them to live in places they’ve never lived before,” Lowe stated in an interview with the ocregister.com. “Populations are coming back and ocean conditions may be pushing them to new places.”

No fewer than 15 people have been killed by sharks off the coast of  Western Australia since 2000. A swimmer was killed in such shallow water that people eating breakfast at a beachfront restaurant witnessed the massacre. The most recent attack was a teenage girl killed in front of her father while they were surfing, reported ocregister.com.

Scientists with the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach detected 21 instances of juvenile white sharks swimming in Huntington Beach waters in 2015, according to latimes.com.

The first year scientists began to systematically track sharks in that area. That was the highest number of hits along any Southern California beach, stated to latimes.com.

28 Comments

28 Responses to “OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High”

1. Jaiden Kelly on May 25th, 2017 2:43 pm

Nicely written article, Eleni! I like how you gave details about the lady who was attacked and is now in a induced coma. Very well written.

[Reply]

2. Kylie Morton on May 26th, 2017 11:23 am

I was surprised to learn about how many sharks were spotted in the shores of Southern California.

[Reply]

3. Jayden Gonzalez on May 26th, 2017 11:29 am

I enjoy reading your article because it made me aware to look out for sharks at the beach.

[Reply]

4. Krissy Kuwahara on May 30th, 2017 10:07 am

Interesting article, I had no idea there were so many shark attacks.

[Reply]

5. Ryen Hernandez on May 30th, 2017 12:09 pm

Great article!! I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that there have been three closures on the beaches this year.

[Reply]

6. trevor on May 31st, 2017 4:21 pm

I am surprised how close some of the sharks got.

[Reply]

7. Eric on June 1st, 2017 1:56 pm

I was surprised to learn how many sharks have been spotted near the shore of California

[Reply]

8. Hannah Arritt on June 7th, 2017 9:45 am

I was surprised to learn that many people have been getting attacked by sharks recently.

[Reply]

9. Meagan Boots on June 7th, 2017 11:35 am

Very well written article. I know this is a rising issue and I’m glad you decided to make sure many people know about this. Good job!

[Reply]

10. Ryan Short on June 8th, 2017 10:46 pm

This was a very interesting article and I was surprised to learn how the sharks behavior changed and how they are attacking people.

[Reply]

11. Alexis Herrmann on June 8th, 2017 10:48 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that a teenage girl died from a shark attack and that a woman was put into a coma because of one. Very well written!

[Reply]

12. Nathan Stevens on June 10th, 2017 3:35 pm

I was surprised by the number of shark attacks that have occurred in recent years. It is interesting to learn that the behavior of sharks are changing.

[Reply]

13. Griffin Knapp on August 31st, 2017 10:44 am

This was very surprising I won´t be going swimming at the beach any time soon!

[Reply]

14. Alyssa on August 31st, 2017 8:45 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that many sharks are getting closer to shallow water and harming people.

[Reply]

15. Ashley on August 31st, 2017 9:37 pm

I was so surprised to hear all of this

[Reply]

16. Wyatt Campagna on September 1st, 2017 10:29 am

After reading about your article, I would like to know more about why more great white sharks are coming here.

[Reply]

17. charlie Bigani on September 3rd, 2017 11:18 am

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that a swimmer was killed in such shallow water.

[Reply]

18. Jessica Xu on September 3rd, 2017 4:37 pm

Very well written Eleni, I was surprised that so many sharks have been spotted along the South coast.

[Reply]

19. Jason George on September 4th, 2017 1:26 pm

Vary well written, I should be more careful when I go into the ocean. Its interesting a woman was put into a coma because of a shark.

[Reply]

20. Emily Grigoruk on September 4th, 2017 7:38 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that sharks like warm water , I have actually never known that.

[Reply]

21. Andrew Bui on September 4th, 2017 9:24 pm

I was surprised to learn that there are so many sharks around the beaches that I go to.

[Reply]

22. Courtney Hatch on September 4th, 2017 11:00 pm

I was very surprised to learn from your article and now on I will be very aware in the ocean for sharks.

[Reply]

23. Cami Dahncke on September 5th, 2017 4:34 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that shark attacks have been happening along Huntington Beach. Your article was very well written.

[Reply]

24. alexis toner on September 5th, 2017 4:54 pm

This was a very well written article and it really helped me understand all of the activity of the sharks.

[Reply]

25. Tim Wang on September 5th, 2017 5:16 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading from your article that sharks were being so close to the beach and humans.

[Reply]

26. alexia on September 5th, 2017 8:42 pm

This is so scary to know, but so interesting!!!!

[Reply]

27. Garen Minasian on September 5th, 2017 8:50 pm

This is a great article and gives in full detail about the incidents of great white sharks attacking people on the beach.

[Reply]

28. Savanah Cicero on September 5th, 2017 10:17 pm

I was suprised to learn from reading your article that 15 people have been killed off the coast of Western Australia since 2000, also I learned that most sharks are located where there is places with hot spots. Thats where they like to hangout. I loved this article, it made me feel more a where!!!!!!

[Reply]

*

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

Dana Point Gets Closer to Making the Town “Smoke-Free”

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

CakeWalk Expands to Orange County

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

North Park Elementary School Students Return One Week After School Shooting

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

Community Divided Over Approval of Esperanza Hills Project

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

Kids From Anaheim Get a Live Video Chat With Astronauts on the International Space Station

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

EHS ROTC Provides Military Training and Potential Scholarships

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

OC Crime Rate Down But Burglaries Go Up

• Local News

Porto’s Opens New Bakery & Cafe in Buena Park

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Local News

“Our Goal is to Win Country League” YLHS Men’s Lacrosse

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Hot Topics

California State Senator wants to Start the School Day Later

OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High