Filed under Features

FDA Warns People Against Sunscreen Pills

Photo Courtesy of Women's Health

Remembering to put on sunscreen can be difficult sometimes, so scientists have invented a sunscreen pill that a person can take once a day to protect their skin from the sun’s harmful rays, according to Mother Nature Network. Unfortunately though, the FDA (The US. Food and Drug Administration) is informing consumers not to use these pills.

“They are putting peoples health at risk by giving consumers a false sense of security that a dietary supplement could prevent sunburn, reduce early skin aging caused by the sun, or protect from the risks of skin cancer,” according to NBC News.

Sunscreen pills are available on Amazon, although they have not been approved. According to NBC News, the FDA is telling the companies selling these pills to stop telling people the pills are protecting them from the harmful rays, when they aren’t protecting people at all.

“Sunsafe Rx is made with ingredients that published clinical studies show protect skin from damage… However, to be abundantly clear: the sun is dangerous, and UV rays damage your skin. We don’t market Sunsafe Rx as a sunscreen,” stated a representative for Napa VAlley Bioscience in an article published by TIME.

Skin cancer is the the most common cancer in the United States, and getting too much sun has a huge impact on whether or not someone can get the the harmful cancer, according to FDA.gov.

According to Mother Nature Network, “The companies must review their websites and product labeling and correct these violations or face federal law violations.”

1 Comment

One Response to “FDA Warns People Against Sunscreen Pills”

1. Alexandra Herrada on June 7th, 2018 7:50 pm

I like how the author is informing us about something that is very important.

*