Filed under Features

The most unusual shopping malls throughout the world

Ever since the first “shopping mall”, Southdale Center located in Edina, Minnesota, was constructed was in 1956, developers have been adding new amenities to attract customers from indoor ski lifts to water parks.Customers looking to expand their shopping experience beyond the big name chains and kiosks may want to head to one of these eight destinations.

1. Dubai Mall, Dubai, UAE

Possibly the most famous mall on the planet, Dubai Mall is the world’s largest at 13 million square feet (the size of more than 50 soccer fields) with 1,200 shops according to Yahoo Travel.  The mall has indoor ski resort, aquarium, ice rink, and the world’s largest candy store. They’re is a waterfall inside the mall with statues in a diving position, if visitors stare into one the others disappear says the traveling site iVenture.

2. Siam Paragon, Bangkok, Thailand

CentralWorld in Bangkok may be the largest shopping mall in Thailand but it’s not nearly as exciting as its competition, Siam Paragon, which is literally right next door. Siam Paragon has 5 levels of stores, world’s first vertical gardens, and an open concept allowing visitors to see inside the structure’s 5 levels. Among the breathtaking facts the mall has an opera hall, bowling alley, art gallery, karaoke, gourmet grocery store, Siam Ocean World Aquarium, and a 40,000-square-foot Fitness First gym states Business Insider.

3. Berjaya Times Square, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The 13-story mall has a central atrium that can give a vertigo look down from the top floor. It also has one of the largest amusement parks in Asia, it spans two levels of roller coasters, a haunted house, a giant musical staircase, a luxury hotel, and more than 1,000 shops, states the Berjaya Times Square, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia website. Recently the mall broke a Guinness World Record with its largest vending machine, which includes over thousands of gumballs on the ground floor, according to Fox news.

4. West Edmonton Mall, Alberta, Canada

The West Edmonton Mall is the largest mall in the North American continent. It features a petting zoo, dinner theater, indoor lake with real sea lions, theme park, and a massive water park with the largest wave pool in the world. The mall also includes replicas of Bourbon Street and “Asian culture of Chinatown”,  says Edmonton Journal .

5. Tokyo Midtown, Tokyo, Japan

Tokyo Midtown practically has every designer brand under the sun. The Tokyo Midtown complex is a self-contained attraction in itself, featuring some exhibits coming to town in its five galleries and museums such as Coppola’s Vinoteca (Francis Ford Coppola’s wine bar showcasing his wine collection) the Ritz Carlton Tokyo; and Design Sight 21_21, a gallery presented by famous fashion designer Issey Miyake according to japan-guide.com. Feeling faint from all the big names?

6. Mall of America, Bloomington, Minnesota

Ever wanted to tie the knot in a mall? Mall in America, located in Minnesota, has had over 5,000 couples married in the massive structure according to Fox News. The mall has  wedding chapels, 1.2 million gallon aquarium, adventure golf, and flight simulators. Make plans to revisit soon as the mall recently announced an expansion plan that will include hotels, a waterpark and even nightlife options, states tripadvisor.com.

7. GPO, Melbourne, Australia

History resonates inside GPO mall, a former general post office (hence, GPO) built in 1859,it was one of the first building erected in Melbourne, Australia, which was formally established in 1859. It was one of the first buildings erected, considering Melbourne was founded in 1835 stated La Trobe Times. It has original structures like Corinthian columns and beautiful archways in a classical design.  The mall features high-end, carefully selected boutiques mostly from local designers and artisans.

8. Okhotny Ryad, Moscow, Russia

The Kita-Gorud GUM may be Moscow’s most popular mall (the building dates back to 1893) but The Okhotny Ryad is the city’s coolest. According to inyourpocket.com the entire mall is underground, linked to a subway stop. Because it’s completely subterranean, the ceiling features stained glass domes and skylights for natural light.

These unusual and extravagant malls might even lure millions of shoppers who are now avoiding the mall “experience” and opting for such services as Amazon. Who knows what the next new mall may contain?