Filed under Features

Five Strange and Beautiful Hummingbirds

Photo Courtesy By thespruce.com

Photo Courtesy By thespruce.com

All hummingbirds are listed under either vulnerable or endangered, to hummingbirdsociety.org. Apparently there is also a 10% chance that the hummingbirds listed under vulnerable will face extinction in the next 100 years. The Coeligena Orina, which is listed under the critically endangered list, has a 50% chance of being extinct in around 10 years, also stated by hummingbirdsociety.org. Hummingbirds are known for many interesting looks and weird functions, such as flying backwards and pollinating. The hummingbird has many different types of species, such as the Costa’s hummingbird, that has a fascinating display of color on its body.

How to attract hummingbirds into your yard, is by using a hummingbird feeders. Hummingbird feeders give hummingbirds artificial nectar. At almost every garden store they sell hummingbird feeders at an average price of $20-$90 depending on the brand that is selling it.

Some very interesting hummingbird facts are (All facts from thespruce.com)

1. When resting, hummingbirds will take around 250 breaths per minutes.

2. Hummingbird’s feet cannot help them walk or hop, but allows them to move sideways on branches.

3. the bee hummingbird is the smallest hummingbird in the world, with a length of 2.25 inches long, and is only found in cuba.

4. Roughly 25-30 percent of a hummingbird’s weight is from its muscles. The hummingbird has broad chest muscles for the sole purpose of flight.

5. Humminbird eggs are the smallest compared to any other bird species. The eggs measure less than ½ inches long.

The Antillean Crested hummingbird:

This species of hummingbird that rests in open vegetation, parks, and forest borders according to hbw.com. Antillean Crested hummingbirds are also well populated in the Puerto Rico and in all islands of the lesser Antilles. As other hummingbirds, the Antillean Crested hummingbird can hover in all directions when feeding on nectar, as stated by oiseaux-birds.com.

Green Hermit:

The Green Hermit hummingbird are mostly found in humid forests, small clearings, and forest edges. This hummingbird is the largest hummingbird, ranging to about 5.3 inches long.

Booted Racket-tail hummingbird:

The male of this species has really long tail feathers. Many native flowering plants depend on this hummingbird for pollination, as stated by mnn.com.

Chestnut-breasted Coronet:

This species of hummingbird is found in southern central america and northwestern south america according to neotropical.birds.cornell.edu. It is commonly seen in forests and human-altered highlands, feeding on nectar and insects.

artificial feeders.

Long-tailed Sylph:

The male of this species has a very long tail, and can be found in Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Columbia. The nest of the long-tailed sylph is in a ball or clump of moss, with a side entrance and a tail of moss dangling below, according to neotropical.edu.

These are only some of many weird hummingbird species. All have such fascinating qualities, like the Long-tailed Sylph. There are more than 325 unique hummingbird species in the world. Up to two dozen are known to live in the United States, and the rest are primarily tropical species, according to thespruce.com.