Filed under Features

Eight Things You May or May Not Have Known About Neanderthals

Photo Courtesy By npr.org

Neanderthals, more rarely known as Neandertals, were archaic humans that became extinct over 40,000 years ago. They appeared to have lived in Europe and later expanded into Southwest, Central, and Northern Asia. However, there are many facts about Neanderthals that some people aren’t aware of. Here are eight facts about Neanderthals that you may or may not know.

Neanderthals Knew How to Control Fire

As the controlled use of fire is one skill that sets humans apart from all other species living today, there was a time when we weren’t the only species to regularly start and use fires, however. A 2011 study out of the University of Colorado, Boulder, showed that Neanderthals understood how to use and control fire as well.

Fossil Relations

As late as the mid-1970s, creationists were still claiming Neanderthal fossils were the remains of modern humans with acromegaly or arthritis, explained discovermagazine.com.

Neanderthals Were Carnivores

Neanderthals were carnivores, mostly eating meat. Because they lived during the harsh conditions of the Ice Age, Neanderthals usually resorted to cannibalism to stay alive. However, evidence show that they also regularly cooked vegetables in their diet, according to facts.net.

Neanderthals Built Ancient Underground Stone Rings For Unknown Reasons.

Located deep in a cave in France, there are two mysterious ancient stone rings that were made by a group of people and have been puzzling archaeologists and historians for years. As these stone rings are now considered to be one of the world’s oldest constructions, recent research suggests that the structure was constructed by Neanderthals 176,500 years ago, but it still remains unknown to why these structures were even built, stated messagetoeagle.com.

Neanderthals Decorated Their Caves With Rocks

The Neanderthals share our curiosity for nature and appreciated beauty. Archaeologists have discovered that the Neanderthals collected artifacts they considered valuable. At the Croatian Site of Krapina, there is evidence that the Neanderthals who lived there 130,000 years ago collected striped limestone rocks which they then used to decorate their caves with, explained messagetoeagle.com.

The Interpretation of Neanderthals

Until 2010, nobody thought that a Neanderthal’s genes could be read. That year, a paleontologist then sequenced the DNA of three Neanderthals that have been found in Croatia.

Neanderthals Vs. Homosapiens

Neanderthals are unarguably our closest extinct human relatives. However, It is debatable whether Neanderthals were their own species, or a subspecies of Homo sapiens. Neanderthals were hominids who lived in North Africa and Eurasia from 30,000 to 200,000 years ago. These are their physical features: Lower, larger skull; larger browridge; larger shoulder joint; larger, broader rib cage; larger elbow joint; shorter forearm; larger hip join; larger, thicker knee; shorter, more flattened lower leg bone; larger ankle joint, according to facts.net.

Neanderthals Wore Eagle Talons as Jewelry

One of the most intriguing facts about Neanderthals was that they wore jewelry. Researchers discovered eight eagle talons that seemed to have once formed part of a bracelet or necklace. All of the talons are from white tailed eagles. Four of these talons feature distinct cuts and notches, which supports the theory that they were worn as jewelry. These items were discovered in Neanderthal cave in Croatia that dates back to 130,000 years ago, explained facts.net.

npr.org

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Eight Things You May or May Not Have Known About Neanderthals”

1. tamara mahdi on March 22nd, 2018 5:25 pm

this was a really informative article; I knew nothing about this topic before today!

2. SuhelaSawaya on March 23rd, 2018 10:15 am

This provided me with lots of information!

*

• Features

Matador Messenger Publishes “Summer Edition”

• Eight Things You May or May Not Have Known About Neanderthals

Breaking News

Fox News Political Analyst/columnist Charles Krauthammer Says He Has weeks to Live

Features

5 Things Most People Thought Are Recyclable, But Aren’t

Features

Blast From The Past: NieR Gestalt

Features

FDA Warns People Against Sunscreen Pills

Features

Five Secret Rooms to Explore in Famous Places

Features

NASA Attempting to Create Coldest Spot in Universe in Box

Features

Research Shows Synesthesia Affects on 1 in 2000 People

• Features

Why Everyone Should Own a Pet Some Time in Their Life

Features

Girl Born with No Hands Wins National Handwriting Contest for the Second Time