Filed under Features

Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

animals.mom.me

animals.mom.me

Humboldt’s flying squirrel has just been declared the third North American Flying Squirrel species and the 45th flying squirrel species on Earth. It was named after Alexander von Humboldt. Originally, Scientists thought that this  flying squirrel was a Northern Flying Squirrel.  The Scientists discovered differences over time such as darker eyes.

Named Glaucomys Oregonensis, this species has small, black, round eyes, and it is found in forest regions from British Columbia to Southern California, according to aweofnature.com.

The flying squirrel eats from a range of fungi and lichens and also eats fruit, insects, and bird eggs.

“This discovery changes our understanding of how these squirrels evolved and spread throughout the continent,” according to news.nationalgeographic.com.

Nesting sites usually occur near rivers and streams. When females have their young, they stay in their nests until they are ready to leave. Males then go off and share their nests with others.

“Flying squirrels make great escape artists, thanks to their superb gliding abilities. Once a flying squirrel lands on a tree trunk following a flight, they promptly scurry to the other side of the trunk to avoid any predators that may have followed them. Nevertheless, owls, hawks, tree snakes, and climbing mammals frequently manage to catch and consume these tiny rodents,” stated nwf.org.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

10 Responses to “Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species”

1. Jayden on June 7th, 2017 2:03 pm

I was surprised that the flying squirrels eats fungi and lichens.

2. Angela Booth on June 7th, 2017 3:04 pm

After reading your article, I would really like to learn about a few of the other types of flying squirrels. This was really interesting to read about because you don’t often hear about flying rodents. I like it though, keep up the good work.

3. Joshua on June 8th, 2017 9:31 pm

This was a very interesting article; I didn’t even know that there were multiply types of flying squirrels.

4. Katie Davila on June 9th, 2017 8:00 am

This article really surprised me. I had no idea there are 45 different species of flying squirrels.

5. Anon on June 10th, 2017 11:54 pm

After reading your article, I was surprised to learned there were various types of flying squirrels.

6. Rafe DeBlasio on June 11th, 2017 11:10 pm

This article was very interesting. I learned that there are many different types of flying squirrels.

7. sarah on September 5th, 2017 9:27 pm

I was surprised to learn that the moms stay with the babies until they are ready to leave.

8. Sara Bridges on October 3rd, 2017 6:53 pm

I think its awesome that there are flying squirrels in southern california, maybe I’ll see one lol.
    (btw I am a sophomore at EHS) 😀

9. Charlie Bigani on November 28th, 2017 4:34 pm

after reading your article, I was surprised to learn that the flying squirrel eats fungi

10. Cole Loudon on December 3rd, 2017 11:22 am

It would be really cool to see a flying squirrel in nature when you are just walking around.

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

Research Shows Synesthesia Affects on 1 in 2000 People

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

Why Saturn’s Inner Moons Aren’t Spherical

• Features

Why Everyone Should Own a Pet Some Time in Their Life

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

New Robot Puts Together IKEA Furniture

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

The most unusual shopping malls throughout the world

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

Japanese Artist Transforms River Stones into Palm Sized Animals

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

Boo-bikes Combine the Flexibility of Bamboo and the Strength of Carbon Fiber for a Smooth Cycling Experience

• Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species