Filed under Features

Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

mnn.com

mnn.com

The Australian Zoo has an exhibit of the soon to be extinct Black Rhinos. But a surprising event happened in April that the zookeepers were blown away by.

“A female Southern black rhino calf was born on April 28 at the Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, Australia, stated a zoo keeper,” stated mnn.com. The baby rhino still doesn’t have a name yet, but the zoo keepers are awaiting a sign that inspires the name, according to yahoo.com.

The calf weighed between 55-65 pounds at birth and has been closely following her mother, who is very protective of her first baby, according to mnn.com.

About 100,000 Black Rhinos existed in 1960. Between 1970 and 1992, 96 percent of Africa’s remaining Black Rhinos were killed by poaching, so when any Black Rhino baby is born, it’s a big celebration, stated mnn.com

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

13 Responses to “Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo”

1. Kayla Asmus on May 24th, 2017 10:44 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because I was able to learn more about the birth of the endangered Black Rhino.

2. chris on May 25th, 2017 11:49 am

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that the babies are already around 60 pounds when the are born.

3. Hannah Arritt on May 25th, 2017 12:16 pm

I think it’s cool and sweet that the rhino had a baby and the mom and baby stay together!

4. Cindy Wang on May 26th, 2017 12:11 pm

Great Article! After reading your article, I would like to know more about Black Rhinos and if the population of Black Rhinos had increased between 1992-2017.

5. Ashlee Holmes on May 27th, 2017 1:26 pm

It’s nice to see that people are taking initiative to save the animals on the endangered species list.

6. Tatum Schroeder on May 29th, 2017 6:35 pm

I am impressed by the structure of this article

7. Erin Lee on May 29th, 2017 8:28 pm

This is a great article! The rhino is so cute!

8. Nicole Stiles on May 30th, 2017 12:04 pm

I indeed enjoyed this animal topic. also, how vividly described it was a the decreasing population of the Rhino. Good work!

9. Victor Wen on May 30th, 2017 9:31 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article because it is very informative and has an interesting story.

10. Jayden Pritchett on June 4th, 2017 9:29 pm

I enjoyed this article because I love to learn about endangered animals. I would have liked to learn more about how to protect wildlife. Overall, this articlce was very well constructed, factual, and the rhino was super cute.

11. Carley on June 7th, 2017 11:28 am

I loved reading this article. It was very interesting and a great topic to learn about!

12. Olivia Yerkes on June 7th, 2017 11:38 am

I very much enjoyed this article because it informed me about what a celebration and a big deal it is when a baby rhino is born because they are endangered.

13. Olivia Steward on June 8th, 2017 10:35 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because it was so informative and well written!

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

The Home of the Bricks

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

PYLUSD Students “Trip Into Science” With Bottle Rockets and Land Yachts

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

“Around the World in 20 Days” Students Journey to Discover New Cultures

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

“Academy Awards” Class Integrates Technology with Social Studies

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

“Write Right” Students Create Non-Fiction with Engaging Activities and “Brain Breaks”

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Mrs. Brock Creates “Magical Science”

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo