Filed under Features

Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

As summer makes its way around the corner, kids start wanting to make money for summer fun. According to mnn.com; babysitting, lawn mowing, walking dogs, and lemonade stands are popular ways that kids make money but is having a lemonade stand legal?

Two weeks ago, Utah passed a law that lemonade stands are in fact legal, according to mnn.com.

CNBC stated that more and more police and local code enforcement officials have closed lemonade stands because kids and parents were unable to produce proper permits and health department licenses.

In the United States, are over 55 cities have restrictions for anyone creating a lemonade stand without a license, according to CNBC.

Three sisters in Las Cruces, New Mexico, started a front-yard drink stand and they even got a permit to do so from at least one city department. Nevertheless, on July 9, 2004, a different city department demanded the stand be shut down for lack of a different kind of license according to mofreedom.org.

“We looked at it as one of those areas that are very common for all of us when we are growing up… and making sure it was wasn’t causing a nuisance in the community,” Greg Rice, the planning & development director for the city of Dunedin, Florida, said when interviewed by CNBC.

For years the Westbury family had sold lemonade, cookies, and banana bread from the end of their driveway in Hopkinton, Massachusetts to spectators at the Boston Marathon; the family donated the proceeds to Relay for Life, an anti-cancer charity.  But on April 16, 2012, city health officials shut them down because they had not obtained a permit according to mofreedom.org.

In 2011, Georgia police officers shut down a lemonade stand run by three little girls because they did it have the proper licenses’ to sell food according to mnn.com.

In Texas, two young girls were trying to raise money to buy tickets to got to the amusement park for father’s day. The girls were told that they didn’t need a permit, but after they received one, they were told that they would also need a food-handling permit from the health department.

Fortunately, later, they settled the disagreement by setting up another lemonade stand and sell the beverages for free but still accepting any tips given. (The girls received hundreds of dollars in tips as well as free tickets to the amusement park owners.)

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?”

1. Elise Eckburg on May 25th, 2017 2:52 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I had no idea there was controversy over whether or not lemonade stands should be legal.

[Reply]

2. Kaylee on May 26th, 2017 1:26 pm

This was a very interesting article. I was surprised that permits/licenses are required just to sell lemonade.

[Reply]

3. Rachael on May 30th, 2017 9:06 pm

This is a great article. It is very informative. I have actually been curious about selling goods on the side of the road. This article has answered my questions. Great job!

[Reply]

*

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

PYLUSD Students “Trip Into Science” With Bottle Rockets and Land Yachts

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

“Around the World in 20 Days” Students Journey to Discover New Cultures

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

“Academy Awards” Class Integrates Technology with Social Studies

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

“Write Right” Students Create Non-Fiction with Engaging Activities and “Brain Breaks”

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

Mrs. Brock Creates “Magical Science”

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

Humboldt’s Flying Squirrel Declared New Species

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

World’s Largest Aircraft Takes Flight

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

Bring Your Own Cup Day Kicks Off Slurpee Season

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

Wisteria Flower Tunnel in Japan Attracts Visitors from Around the World

• Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

Features

Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?