“Everybody knows that there are dangerous sounding chemicals in nail polish, but many of us think our limited contact is too minimal to cause much risk stated.”The Huffington Post reported. According to Everyday Health, there may be another potentially toxic chemical to be aware of called triphenyl phosphate (TPHP), a suspected hormone disruptor that’s commonly used as a fire retardant in furniture.
EWG’s Skin Deep cosmetic database reported that TPHP is present in 49 percent of nail polish, and can be found in the following products, OPI, Sally Hansen, Maybelline, and Spa Ritual.
California’s Department of Toxic Substances Control has found that nearly all the nail polishes in the state agency tested and claimed to be free of a so called “toxic trio” of chemicals linked to cancer.However, Organic Life states that scientists are researching that nail salon safety bought 25 different bottles of nail polish used exclusively at salons, not brands you’d find at a drugstore, were tested for toluene, a solvent that makes nail polish go on more smoothly but is neurotoxic , a cancer causing preservative and dibutyl phthalate.
Does this mean you need to toss all your nail polish? Not yet.According to EverydayHealth Johanna Congleton, a senior scientist at the EWG who worked on the study stated “The study was small and that there is little human data on the health effects of TPHP. However, rats exposed before and after birth to a fire radiant mixture that contains 20 percent TPHP were obese females and went through early puberty, indicating metabolic and hormone disruption.”