Filed under Campus Life

BYMS Students March in Support of the 17 Victims of the Shooting of Douglas Stoneman High School

Photo Courtesy By Christine Perez

Photo Courtesy By Christine Perez

Hundreds of students at BYMS crowded outside of the building in honor of the 17 students who died in the shooting of Douglas Stoneman High School on On March 14, at 10:00 AM. First and second period classes were shortened to create time for students to honor the victims of the shooting. First period lasted for 38 minutes and second period lasted for 37 minutes.

As BYMS students stood outside for 17 minutes (corresponding to the number of students that died), they stood in silence and wrote letters to congress and many students signed a poster expressing their support for solidifying school safety within California, as well as other schools fearing the same problem. Above the swarm of students, helicopters were rotating around the school recording the event.

At the beginning of third period, BYMS principal, Mr. Valburg, talked over the intercom and expressed his appreciation for those who participated in The Walk Out.

“I went out because I wanted to show respect,” stated Andrea Torres, a seventh grade BYMS student who participated in the event.

On March 9, 2018, Superintendent Dr. Greg Plutko outlined the expectations for orderly protests across the district in an email regarding the event. In the email, he stated, “As we look ahead to next week, many of our high school students have reached out to school principals, teachers, and staff regarding their desire to participate in the widely publicized nationwide school walkout for 17 minutes at 10 a.n on Wednesday March 14, in honor of the 17 victims who lost their lives.”

High school students across the country are inspired by survivors of Douglas Stoneman High school and are planning protest to draw attention to the need for stronger gun control laws and safer schools.

The protest movement began when three buses filled with 100 student survivors of the Stoneman Douglas high school shooting traveled for seven hours to Tallahassee Florida, the states capitol on February 21, 2018, according to westwordnews.com.

Two additional protests have been planned for March, including “The National School Walkout” on March 14 sponsored by The Women’s March Network and the “March for Our Lives” on March 24th, organized by survivors of the Stoneman Douglas High School, as reported by vox.com. The Women’s March Network have listed more than 1,855 planned school walkout on March 14, according to www.centralmaine.com.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “BYMS Students March in Support of the 17 Victims of the Shooting of Douglas Stoneman High School”

1. Derek Durham on March 16th, 2018 2:45 pm

This was event was very respectful.

[Reply]

2. Michael on March 16th, 2018 3:04 pm

I liked this article but would like to know how they had so many schools doing this

[Reply]

3. danya on March 19th, 2018 11:16 am

I would like to address that very few people were silent and I found that very disrespectful as they ate and played music during the “silent” protest.

[Reply]

4. Savanah Cicero on March 22nd, 2018 7:52 pm

It was very sad to hear about the seventeen students and teachers that lost their lifes.

[Reply]

5. Britton Moore on March 22nd, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for telling us more about this event.

[Reply]

*

• BYMS Students March in Support of the 17 Victims of the Shooting of Douglas Stoneman High School

Campus Life

BYMS Combined Bands Perform At Yorba Meadows Concert

Campus Life

109 BYMS Students Honored On Awards Night

Campus Life

BYMS 2018 Soccer Tournament Winners

Campus Life

BYMS PTA Sponsors 8th Grade Promotion Party

Campus Life

BYMS Hosts Spirit Rally for Third Quarter

Campus Life

Independent Study PE Student Profile: Thomas Gersbacher

Campus Life

BYMS Drama Performs Musical “Grease”

Campus Life

BYMS History Night Showcases Honors Projects

Campus Life

Student of the Week: Vocal Ensemble Student, Kristen Doan is “Totally Dedicated.”

Campus Life

BYMS Institutes a Three Minute Passing Period