Filed under Campus Life

Suicide Prevention Assembly Held at BYMS

Photo Courtesy of

A suicide prevention assembly was recently held at BYMS, on January 17, 2017.

“The purpose of suicide is not to die, but to end the pain,” said speaker for With Hope The Amber Craig Memorial Foundation.

The school’s vice principal Mr. Steve Marshall had a few things to say while on an interview with the Matador Messenger. “Depression and suicide are issues that our students face. Our district knows this and has made it a priority to focus on the issue,” he says.

Usually, the With Hope foundation goes to high schools and sometimes colleges. “The student services department of our district have worked with With Hope for a number of years and decided to bring them to the Middle schools this year,” said Mr. Marshall.

From this assembly, Mr. Marshall wants students to understand, “Don’t be silent.  If you need help, ask us. If you know someone who does, don’t keep quiet!”

Suicide is the second leading cause of death from ages 10-24. In the U.S, about 30,000 people commit suicide each year. For every 25 suicide attempts, 1 suicide is fulfilled. Every 16.2 minutes, someone commits suicide, according to the Amber Craig Foundation.

Depression can be diagnosed, and it can be treated, but many people don’t notice any signs that people with depression will give off.

“Depression doesn’t always look like debilitating sadness,” said Richard Kravitz, MD, MSPH, a professor of internal medicine at University of California, Davis.

According to the With Hope Foundation, some warning signs of depression are giving things away; returning borrowed items, talking, reading, or writing about suicide or death, and more.

Depression isn’t only in teens and adults, according to BBC News. While this assembly has already chose to speak about a very hard topic for some people, they also tell kids to “Never Promise to Keep this Secret.”