Filed under Campus Life

BYMS Holds Annual Leadership and ASB Signups

Photo Courtesy of

Photo Courtesy of

All students interested in being in BYMS’s 2018-2019 Leadership and ASB class can now apply by picking up the form in the front office with Mrs. Gomez.

Leadership students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher each quarter, with no D’s, F’s, N’s, or U’s during the whole school year.  They must also not receive any discipline referrals.

To apply for this class, one must pick up an application from the front office.  The form must be completed and turned to Mr. Kish in room 305 or his mailbox by no later that 3:15 pm on Friday, February 16.

Applicants will be selected based on the total accumulated points at the end of the process.  The total number of points an applicant would receive is 100 points.  Ten points for the written application, 60 points for the teacher evaluations, and 30 points for presentations and speeches.

Each year, Mr. Kish receives around 80 applicants, but only 32 are accepted into the class.  After the class is determined, the students running for office in the chosen class will then run for ASB.

The leadership class, is a year long elective open to all the motivated 7th grade students that would like to apply.  This class is designed to improve leadership skills with involvement in classroom activities, student government, student and staff recognition programs, student activities, dances, conflict mediation, and school/community service, according to Mr. Kish.

The leadership program will focus on school activities such as dances, sports tournaments, spirit rallies, fundraisers, spirit weeks, and more.

“The main goal [of the leadership program] is to create a positive environment and make BYMS more diverse, enjoyable, and exciting,” stated Mr. Kish, the ASB/Leadership, activities, and yearbook director.

It is also created to help students develop necessary life skills with direct participation in planning and executing of a variety of student and staff activities and discussions of topics such as goal setting, communication, decision making, and leadership skills, reported Mr. Kish.

Leadership students are expected to have the qualities of being a good leader such as responsibility, dependability, tolerance, enthusiasm, and trustworthiness.  They are also expected to be a positive role model and they will be expected to participate before, after, and during school to run school activites and more according to Mr. Kish.

One must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher for each of the first three quarters, with no D’s or F’s.  Citizenship must also have no U’s and only one N, which will be carefully considered.  One must also not have any discipline referrals throughout the year.

Good luck to all the applicants.