Filed under Campus Life

BYMS Band Performs In Honor of Patriot’s Day

The BYMS band performed for the first time this year at the Fairmont Elementary School’s Patriotic Performance on the morning of September 11th.

At the Fairmont Elementary school’s Patriotic assembly the Bernardo Band, along with the Fairmont band and Fairmont choir, performed to all grades and played “America the Beautiful” by Samuel Ward to honor the lives lost on September 11, 2001. Only a small group of the band were able to perform for this performance due to the fact that the Fairmont band also

Mrs. Neumayr, the instrumental music teacher at BYMS said, “I am very proud of these students for their commitment and hard work with such short notice. They have set the bar high for performance expectations for the rest of the BYMS instrumental music program.”

The students were asked to learn a new song last minute and they  worked until the day of the performance. Many band memebers  worked together outside of school and practiced without a teacher. Katellyn Miller, a 8th grader at Bernardo Yorba  who performed at Fairmont, said,“Fairmont’s principal had given us chairs and stands and we played ‘America, the Beautiful’ while the veterans and their families lined up. It was super fun to play, especially with my friends.”

The first official BYEU colorguard and marching band performance will be Saturday, October 7th at the Tustin Tiller Days parade. For more information on this event and future performances visit the BYEU website at

1 Comment

One Response to “BYMS Band Performs In Honor of Patriot’s Day”

1. Jessica Xu on October 24th, 2017 5:16 pm

It is very cool how they still did a very good job even though they had to learn a new song at the last minute.