Filed under Breaking News

Could Loneliness Be the Next Health Epidemic?

Studies find that social isolation may lead to an early death, and the number of people facing loneliness is growing, according to MNN.

42 million adults age 45 and up are estimated to suffer from chronic loneliness, and 25 percent live alone.

In recent decades, researchers have discovered that loneliness left untreated is not just psychically painful; it also can have serious medical consequences, according to New York Times.    

Loneliness and social isolation can lead to heart disease, cancer, depression, diabetes, and suicide.

And if you look at the workplace, you’ll also find it’s associated with reductions in task performance. It limits creativity. It impairs other aspects of executive function, such as decision-making, according to The Washington Post.

So, now the question is, how do we cure it? One good idea is to hang out with friends, or make new friends.

Checkout Meetup.com for anything you want to do, from art classes and poetry readings to wine tastings and disco parties. Pick one and go! according to Big Think.

Some other tips are focus on relationships, and talk to someone about these problems.

Therapies like CBT (Cognitive-behavioral therapy), depression group therapy and anxiety group therapy to help the individual by trained professionals. The coping mechanism is predictable and manageable when it is handled with the guide of professional, according to Practo.