Seven Irish Mythological Creatures That Aren’t Leprechauns

Photo Courtesy By finalfantasy.wikia.com

Everyone has heard of leprechauns. When people hear “Leprechaun,” they think of little bearded men who have an affinity for pots of gold, rainbows, and the color green. But aside from these popular creatures among many, there are many Irish mythological creatures that aren’t referred to as leprechauns. As many people are on the lookout for leprechauns on this special day, many don’t know about the other mythological creatures roaming around.

Here are seven Irish mythological creatures that aren’t categorized as leprechauns:

Banshee

(Photo: tvtropes.org)

As the banshee is typically pictured as an old witch, they can actually take three different forms. They can take the form of a young, attractive maiden, a full-figured matron, or an old crone. She also has many names including the Little Washerwoman, Hag of the Mist, and Hag of the Black Head, but is most commonly referred to as Woman of the Fairy Folk. Whatever form she takes, her arrival always foretells, disaster, doom, and death, described by mnn.com.

Abhartach

(Photo: http://visitcryptoville.com)

Known as the “dwarf king,” the Abhartach had powers that extended from beyond the grave. It is implied that he is so small because he had been injured in battle or through accident, or possibly because of wizardry considering that the people of his time were great warriors and they liked their rulers to be manly, brave, and strong. Legend has it that this creature rose from his crypt to drink the blood of his subjects. It is explained through stories how he could only be restrained if he were reburied upside down, punctured with a sword of yew, or if his tomb is surrounded by thorns, explained yourirish.com and mnn.com.

Sluagh

(Photo: TheoJunior/flickr)

Usually referred to as sinners, the sluagh were left to haunt the world of the living. As they are angry about their fate, these restless spirits are said to snatch the souls of anyone who gets in their way. Sometimes, people will keep the windows closed on the west sides of their homes, especially when a close one has recently been sick or has died, which could have possibly called a horde of sluagh. It is said that people fear the Sluagh more than death itself as it is entirely different.

Far darrig

(Photo: finalfantasy.wikia.com)

A far darrig or fear dearg is a faerie of Irish mythology. The name far darrig is an Anglophone pronunciation of the Irish words fear dearg, meaning Red Man, as the far darrig is described as a fairy wearing a red coat and cap. It is classified as a solitary fairy and as a clurichaun, all of whom are “most sluttish, slouching, jeering, mischievous phantoms.” It is recognized as a practical jokester, explained stairnaheireann.net.

Fear gorta

(Photo: mike-garvey.deviantart.com)

Having a literal meaning of “man of hunger,” the fear gorta is a being that wanders the Earth during times of scarcity of food. He looks like a wasted human as he begs for help and promises a good fortune to those who assist him.

Clurichaun

(Photo: mnn.com)

A variation of the leprechaun, the clurichaun is a fairy known for his love of drinks. He is famous for haunting wine cellars and treating himself to their contents. Small in stature, the elf is only a few inches tall and is often described as a trickster and a jokester. The fairy resembles the leprechaun so well to the point where many think he is one, but on a drinking spree.

Selkie

(Photo: mnn.com)

These mythological sea creatures are said to take the form of a seal in the water, but then shapeshift back to a human form, shedding their seal skin as they come to shore. Often described as incredibly handsome or beautiful, selkies have often been rumored to bait humans to the water, never returning, according to mnn.com.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Seven Irish Mythological Creatures That Aren’t Leprechauns”

1. Brandon Mamaril on March 19th, 2018 12:01 pm

After reading your article I learned about Irish mythos. Thanks 🙂

2. Sydney Phethean on May 17th, 2018 3:06 pm

I enjoyed your article and now I would like to know more about mythological creatures from different parts of the world.

3. Seamus De Arte on May 31st, 2018 10:37 pm

I enjoyed reading your article and I would like to know more about how these creatures were found as part of their lore.

4. Seamus De Arte on May 31st, 2018 10:39 pm

I enjoyed reading your article and would like to know more about how these widely divergent creatures became part of their lore.

5. Seamus De Arte on May 31st, 2018 10:41 pm

I enjoyed your article and would like to know more about how these creatures became a part of their lore.

*