The Home of the Bricks

Photo Courtesy of lego.com

Photo Courtesy of lego.com

theguardian.com
Architects are designing homes constructed of everything from cargo ship containers to straw hay bales.  But how about a life size house made of Legos?  The giant Lego house in Billund, Denmark is a 12,000 square meter building filled with over 25 million colorful building blocks, according to theverge.com.

“With Lego bricks, you can express yourself creatively and make anything imaginable. The possibilities are endless, and nowhere else in the world can you experience it in the same way as in Lego House,” says third-generation Lego owner, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen in an interview with CNN.

This building has taken over four years to build, to create the most unique and special Lego experience.  The Lego house is located in Billund, Denmark, where the first Legos were created, according to cnn.com.

The unique structure is made up of 21 “building blocks” stacked up on top of each other to make it look like the house is make up of Lego bricks.  The house has 2 exhibition places, where Lego structures created by Lego fans are displayed.  The history of Legos, and more than 200 of the most iconic Lego sets, according to cnn.com.

People that come to Billund airport by plane can see eight spotlight beams shining from the eight knobs on the giant 2×4 Lego brick on the roof.  They will also see each part of the house divided into different colors, and some of the outdoor activities, according to lego.com.

There are also four different zones in the building, each marked with a different color that has a different symbol.  The red zone stands for creativity and creative skills,  the green zone is for social skills, the blue zone stands for learning skills, and the blue zone is for emotional skills. Each color has an area where you can play with the Legos.  There are also a number of activities you can participate in in each color zone, according to nytimes.com.

The Lego House also has an outdoor area where multiple play areas and terraces.  There are also three places where you can eat, called The Brickaccino cafe, the Mini Chef, and Le Gourmet.  In addition, there is a huge Lego store, according to theverge.com.

“All activities in the house are related to our Lego philosophy that learning through play promotes innovation and creativity.  Everything from experience zones and outdoor areas to our restaurant concepts is based on play and creativity, so no matter what you do in Lego House, it will have something to do with playing,”explained Jesper Vilstrup, the Lego House CEO.

Photo Courtesy of cnn.com