Are You a Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindor?

Are you a Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindor? The answer may be found in a simple quiz found on the Pottermore website, the website that has all the information on the Harry Potter book series.

After logging in to the website pottermore.com three quizzes are available: “Hogwarts House”, “my wand”, “Ilvermorny House.” Also available on the website is a preview of a separate series that J.K. Rowling has begun to write.

Source: Pintrest.com

Some of the  questions on the website are the following: “Moon or stars?” “Black or white?”and “Dawn or Dusk?”

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has opened at Universal Studios. Some rides that are available at the park are the Flight of the Hippogriff, a fun and family friendly roller coaster, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, a thrilling 3D ride that plunges you into the world of Harry Potter and into the Hogwarts Castle.

In the Harry Potter series, the characters were sorted into their houses with a sorting hat that determined which house best described the personality of the person. Each year, the sorting hat sings a different song, depending on what it thinks is going to happen at that year at Hogwarts.

Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Gryffindor are the four houses at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Once sorted into their houses, the students compete and work together to win the House Cup, a trophy that is provided to the house that earns the most points. By doing something good,  the student earns points for their house, and by doing something bad, they lose points for their house.

In the wizarding world, there is a popular sport that takes place in the air. At Hogwarts, this game is competitively played between each house, led by each team captain, and run by the Quidditch referee, Madam Hooch. There is a Quidditch team that plays for each house, and earns house points with each win.  The special part is, Quidditch is played on broomsticks.

There are seven players: the keeper, two beaters, three chasers, and one seeker. The purpose of the game is to score the most points, and the game ends when the seeker catches the flying golden snitch. (Yes, the game could go on forever.) The seeker who catches the snitch earns their team 150 points. The keeper defends the three tall, hoop goals from the chasers who try to get the quaffle into one of the goals. Beaters use bats to hit away bludgers (big, heavy, self-moving balls that try to knock players of their broomstick.) Each house is immensely competitive about this activity and train hard to prepare for any games.

Hufflepuff expresses loyalty, kindness, fairness, hardworking, and being true and patient. The founder of the Hogwarts house was Helga Hufflepuff, a caring, earnest, and loyal witch. Each house has their own ghost and the head of house. Hufflepuff’s ghost is the Fat Friar. The head of the Hufflepuff house is Pomona Sprout, who teaches Herbology at Hogwarts. “Our house colours are yellow and black, and our common room lies one floor below the ground, on the same corridor as the kitchens,”states the Hufflepuff Welcome Message on Pottermore. com

As the Sorting Hat stated,

“You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil.”

According to mirror.co.uk, some probable Hufflepuffs include Louis Walsh, Jennifer Aniston, and Kate Middleton. Some characters from the Harry Potter series who are in Hufflepuff are Cedric Diggory, Nymphadora Tonks, and Newt Scamander.

Ravenclaw expresses intelligence, wisdom, sharpness and becoming witty and independent. The house ghost of the Ravenclaw house is the Grey Lady, daughter of the founder of Ravenclaw, Rowena Ravenclaw. The head of house for Ravenclaw is Filius Flitwick, who teaches Charms at Hogwarts, as explained by J.K. Rowling in the novels. “Our emblem is the eagle, which soars where others cannot climb; our house colours are blue and bronze, and our common room is found at the top of Ravenclaw Tower, behind a door with an enchanted knocker,”as stated on the Ravenclaw Welcome Message on Pottermore.com

As the Sorting Hat described,

“Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you’ve a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind.

Some characters who are in Ravenclaw are Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang, Quirinus Quirrell, Sybil Trelawney,  Gilderoy Lockhart.

Lorde, Niall Horan, and Morgan Freeman are all probable Ravenclaws, according to mirror.co.uk.

Slytherin portrays the character traits of ambition, cunning, and resourcefulness. Slytherin’s house ghost is the Bloody Baron, the only ghost who can control Peeves, a mischievous poltergeist that roams around Hogwarts.

“Our emblem is the serpent, the wisest of creatures; our house colours are emerald green and silver, and our common room lies behind a concealed entrance down in the dungeons. As you’ll see, its windows look out into the depths of the Hogwarts lake. We often see the giant squid swooshing by – and sometimes more interesting creatures. We like to feel that our hangout has the aura of a mysterious, underwater shipwreck.” says the Slytherin Welcome Message on Pottermore.com.

The Sorting Hat explains,

“Or perhaps in Slytherin

You’ll make your real friend

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.”

The founder of Slytherin is Salazar Slytherin, cunning, mischievous, muggle-hating, wizard who believed that muggles and purebloods (a wizard or witch who has parents who are both a witch and a wizard) should stay separate.

The head of house is Severus Snape, who teaches Potions at Hogwarts, and it is implied that he loathes Harry Potter, the protagonist of the Harry Potter series. Some characters that landed in Slytherin are Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy, Merlin, Tom Riddle (a.k.a Voldemort)  Pansy Parkinson, and Crabbe.

Last, but not least, Gryffindor is a house of bravery, courage, nerve, and chivalry. Gryffindor house ghost is Nearly Headless Nick. The head of house for Gryffindor is Minerva McGonagall, an understanding, loyal and intelligent witch, who teaches Transfiguration at Hogwarts. The founder of Gryffindor is Godric Gryffindor. “Our emblem is the lion, the bravest of all creatures; our house colours are scarlet and gold, and our common room lies up in Gryffindor Tower.” the  Gryffindor Welcome Message on Pottermore states.

“You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry,

Set Gryffindors apart.”

The head of the house is Minerva McGonagall, who teaches transfiguration.  Some characters that landed in Gryffindor are Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, all of the Weasleys, James Potter, Albus Dumbledore, and Neville Longbottom.

Jennifer Lawrence, Adele, Kate, Winslet are only some of the many that are probable for the house of Gryffindor.

Ever wonder how these unique house names were created? “The names of the Hogwarts Houses were thought up of on the back of an aeroplane sick bag,” stated Rowling, “Yes, it was empty.”

You can determine which house you are in by clicking this link.

https://my.pottermore.com/sorting-hat

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Are You a Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindor?”

1. Angela Booth on November 9th, 2016 6:25 pm

I love how you guys go into all of the descriptions and give different sources to take the sorting quiz.

2. Kylie Toblesky on January 26th, 2017 12:47 pm

I really liked this because I love Harry Potter and when they were describing the houses my house was first!

3. Cindy Wang on February 2nd, 2017 5:12 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned more about my own house Hufflepuff. I already took the test on Pottermore.

*