Manny Pacquiao May Not Fight in the U.S Again
Manny Pacquiao’s chief addressed on Monday that he would no longer be fighting in the U.S because of the 39.6 tax rate for each of his fights. For his next bout, his promoter Bob Arum is hopeful to arrange a fifth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez roughly in September, taking place at a Chinese gambling resort instead of Las Vegas.
“Manny can go back to Las Vegas and make $25 million, but how much of it will he end up with – $15 million?” Arum said. “If he goes to Macau, perhaps his purse will only be $20 million, but he will get to keep it all, so he will be better off.”
“We were only talking this morning about where and when and against whom he would fight next. One thing we agreed on is that the taxes made Vegas a no-go. You’re a fighter up there risking your life in the ring, so you have to maximize what you are going to get out of it,” explained Koncz. “I know, Manny knows, that he only has a certain number of fights life left, maybe one, maybe three. We don’t know. So that means the priorities change a little bit at this point.”
While avoiding a huge tax bill for each fight, Manny would be able to keep more of the money, but at the same time he would lose pay-per-view sales in the United States.
”So here is what we are looking at: We want somewhere that is appealing from a financial perspective, with low taxes that allow him to keep a lot of his income. Also, we are looking for him to take something back to the fans that have supported him. He is a global fighter with global popularity, but he has only fought in one country for so long.” Manny’s advisor, Arum, said.
There were more growing concerns about Marquez. He already got an impressive knock out on Manny Pacquiao in December and also he might not see any point in fighting him again. There is going to be a lot of talk about their fifth bout, but so far, Marquez has nothing to prove.