Filed under Local News

OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

latimes.com

latimes.com

Prior to 2015, authorities never had to keep the public out of the waters off Huntington Beach because of shark activity. However, just this year there have been three closures, including one earlier this month after several large sharks were seen in the water about 150 yards off the coast, according to latimes.com.

Chris Lowe, Director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach, has been studying the recent shift in great white behavior in Southern California. He and others have seen groups of great whites hanging out close to shore in areas he describes as “hot spots” in places like Santa Monica, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, Surfside in Seal Beach, San Onofre and, most recently, Long Beach near Alamitos Bay, according to the ocregister.com.

“We should be worried, to an extent,” Lowe stated in an interview with the ocregister.com. “But we should also be encouraged.”

A woman was bitten by a shark while surfing at San Onofre State Beach on Saturday, April 29. Last Memorial Day, another woman training for triathlons nearly died after being mauled by a great white shark while swimming off Corona del Mar, according to ocregister.com.

Sharks have also been sighted at Poche Beach, Capistrano Beach, and San Onofre State Beach, where a woman was bitten recently. She remains in a medically induced coma. Wednesday, April 26th, a great white shark was spotted off the coast of Dana Point feeding on a dead humpback whale, stated abc7.com.

“Ocean temperatures are rising, causing them to live in places they’ve never lived before,” Lowe stated in an interview with the ocregister.com. “Populations are coming back and ocean conditions may be pushing them to new places.”

No fewer than 15 people have been killed by sharks off the coast of  Western Australia since 2000. A swimmer was killed in such shallow water that people eating breakfast at a beachfront restaurant witnessed the massacre. The most recent attack was a teenage girl killed in front of her father while they were surfing, reported ocregister.com.

Scientists with the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach detected 21 instances of juvenile white sharks swimming in Huntington Beach waters in 2015, according to latimes.com.

The first year scientists began to systematically track sharks in that area. That was the highest number of hits along any Southern California beach, stated to latimes.com.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High”

1. Jaiden Kelly on May 25th, 2017 2:43 pm

Nicely written article, Eleni! I like how you gave details about the lady who was attacked and is now in a induced coma. Very well written.

[Reply]

2. Kylie Morton on May 26th, 2017 11:23 am

I was surprised to learn about how many sharks were spotted in the shores of Southern California.

[Reply]

3. Jayden Gonzalez on May 26th, 2017 11:29 am

I enjoy reading your article because it made me aware to look out for sharks at the beach.

[Reply]

4. Krissy Kuwahara on May 30th, 2017 10:07 am

Interesting article, I had no idea there were so many shark attacks.

[Reply]

5. Ryen Hernandez on May 30th, 2017 12:09 pm

Great article!! I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that there have been three closures on the beaches this year.

[Reply]

6. trevor on May 31st, 2017 4:21 pm

I am surprised how close some of the sharks got.

[Reply]

7. Eric on June 1st, 2017 1:56 pm

I was surprised to learn how many sharks have been spotted near the shore of California

[Reply]

8. Hannah Arritt on June 7th, 2017 9:45 am

I was surprised to learn that many people have been getting attacked by sharks recently.

[Reply]

9. Meagan Boots on June 7th, 2017 11:35 am

Very well written article. I know this is a rising issue and I’m glad you decided to make sure many people know about this. Good job!

[Reply]

10. Ryan Short on June 8th, 2017 10:46 pm

This was a very interesting article and I was surprised to learn how the sharks behavior changed and how they are attacking people.

[Reply]

11. Alexis Herrmann on June 8th, 2017 10:48 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that a teenage girl died from a shark attack and that a woman was put into a coma because of one. Very well written!

[Reply]

*

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Showcase

TStreet Volleyball Team Player, Elyse Stowell: “We encourage each other to be better people and players”

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Campus Life

Esperanza High School’s Cross Country Team Looking for New Teammates

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Campus Life

Art Student Of The Week: Jasmine Pham

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Showcase

“Orange is the New Black” is also the Color of Success for Alumni, Heather Jeng Bladt

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Features

Wisteria Flower Tunnel in Japan Attracts Visitors from Around the World

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Science and Technology

Heartfelt Organization Sponsors Heart Screenings at Esperanza and El Dorado High Schools

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Showcase

BYMS Band Director, Rita Watson, to Retire at the End of June

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Showcase

BYMS Winter Guard Wins First Place in Championships

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Campus Life

Join the Matador Messenger!

• OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High

Campus Life

BYMS Elects New Officers for 2017-2018 School Year

OC Shark Attacks at an All Time High