Filed under Local News

Kids From Anaheim Get a Live Video Chat With Astronauts on the International Space Station

ocregister.com

ocregister.com

About 150 students from Betsy Ross Elementary School got to chat with astronauts living aboard the International Space Station in their auditorium on Monday, April 4th, according to ocregister.com.

Expedition 50 Commander Shane Kimbrough and Flight Engineer Peggy Whitson spent 20 minutes answering questions from the students during the live video chat. The video chat aired live on NASA Television. The school had conducted research using virtual field trips and designed realistic models of the space station for the students to increase their knowledge of NASA, reported nasa.gov.

Kimbrough launched to the station on Oct. 19, 2016, and will be returning on April 10. Whitson launched to the station on Nov. 17, 2016, and will be returning later this spring, stated nasa.gov.

One of the first questions, asked by fourth-grader Tavion Mills was “I know that there are many terrifying things in space like darkness and no oxygen. What is the scariest thing about space for you?”

“You’re right. There are a lot of scary things in space and the way we work around that, we practice what we’re going to do in an emergency; we know our roles and responsibilities,” she said. “With that practice, that helps us overcome those fears,” responded Whitson, according to selfhelpeducationarena.com.