Filed under Local News

Porto’s Opens New Bakery & Cafe in Buena Park

Family Owned Business Includes Potato Balls, Meat Pies, Cheese Rolls, and Cuban Sandwiches.

Looking for a unique cafe and dining experience beyond that what is offered by your local Starbucks and Coffee Bean? Porto’s Bakery & Cafe, a family-owned business, has just celebrated the grand opening of their fourth location in Buena Park on March 1st and is looking to expand in San Diego and Las Vegas in the future.

Along with coffee and cakes, Porto’s offers Cuban pastries and meals. Fan favorites include cheese/guava rolls, potato balls, meat pies, cheese rolls, and Cuban sandwiches, according to yelp.com.

Customers entered the Buena Park Porto’s around 11 A.M. after an opening ceremony with a speech by actor and family member, Andy Garcia. Local police stated that more than 1,500 customers had been lined up, according to ocregister.com.

The new Buena Park bakery is right around the corner of Knott’s Berry Farm on Beach Blvd. “The latter is a massive 17,000 square foot operation that employs workers solely for line support and customer service, and often on weekends more than three dozen front of house staffers work at once just to help beat back the line of customers, bus tables, and keep everyone moving in the right direction,” stated la.eater.com

The new Buena Park location is unlike any of other three Porto’s.

“It’s completely different. We used someone else for the design, and it’s very industrial. The main difference is the coffee bar. It will not be at the entrance it will be at the side. It will have its own sitting area and will be very private,” stated Betty Porto during an interview with the Matador Messenger.

The opening of the latest location was not without some difficulties. Betty Porto later stated, “All the rain has delayed us, laying out the parking lot, and doing the lines. And there’s that challenge of receiving things late and not being able to get equipment in on time happens every year whenever we build.”

“Now the company enjoys three fully-realized locations that serve nearly five million customers annually, with a fourth to open Wednesday in Buena Park and a West Covina outlet still in the works,” stated la.eater.com. As of now, their goal is to finish constructing West Covina and start on a location in San Diego first before moving out of California.

Although the company is expanding, the Porto’s family plans to supervise all aspects of the bakeries to ensure continued success. “Either my brother, my sister or I will go to the stores and visit. We also make sure that the managers we hire know that we are a family business and we want to keep it that way.”