Filed under Features

Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

mnn.com

mnn.com

The Australian Zoo has an exhibit of the soon to be extinct Black Rhinos. But a surprising event happened in April that the zookeepers were blown away by.

“A female Southern black rhino calf was born on April 28 at the Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, Australia, stated a zoo keeper,” stated mnn.com. The baby rhino still doesn’t have a name yet, but the zoo keepers are awaiting a sign that inspires the name, according to yahoo.com.

The calf weighed between 55-65 pounds at birth and has been closely following her mother, who is very protective of her first baby, according to mnn.com.

About 100,000 Black Rhinos existed in 1960. Between 1970 and 1992, 96 percent of Africa’s remaining Black Rhinos were killed by poaching, so when any Black Rhino baby is born, it’s a big celebration, stated mnn.com

13 Responses to “Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo”

1. Kayla Asmus on May 24th, 2017 10:44 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because I was able to learn more about the birth of the endangered Black Rhino.

2. chris on May 25th, 2017 11:49 am

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that the babies are already around 60 pounds when the are born.

3. Hannah Arritt on May 25th, 2017 12:16 pm

I think it’s cool and sweet that the rhino had a baby and the mom and baby stay together!

4. Cindy Wang on May 26th, 2017 12:11 pm

Great Article! After reading your article, I would like to know more about Black Rhinos and if the population of Black Rhinos had increased between 1992-2017.

5. Ashlee Holmes on May 27th, 2017 1:26 pm

It’s nice to see that people are taking initiative to save the animals on the endangered species list.

6. Tatum Schroeder on May 29th, 2017 6:35 pm

I am impressed by the structure of this article

7. Erin Lee on May 29th, 2017 8:28 pm

This is a great article! The rhino is so cute!

8. Nicole Stiles on May 30th, 2017 12:04 pm

I indeed enjoyed this animal topic. also, how vividly described it was a the decreasing population of the Rhino. Good work!

9. Victor Wen on May 30th, 2017 9:31 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article because it is very informative and has an interesting story.

10. Jayden Pritchett on June 4th, 2017 9:29 pm

I enjoyed this article because I love to learn about endangered animals. I would have liked to learn more about how to protect wildlife. Overall, this articlce was very well constructed, factual, and the rhino was super cute.

11. Carley on June 7th, 2017 11:28 am

I loved reading this article. It was very interesting and a great topic to learn about!

12. Olivia Yerkes on June 7th, 2017 11:38 am

I very much enjoyed this article because it informed me about what a celebration and a big deal it is when a baby rhino is born because they are endangered.

13. Olivia Steward on June 8th, 2017 10:35 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because it was so informative and well written!

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Showcase

TStreet Volleyball Team Player, Elyse Stowell: “We encourage each other to be better people and players”

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Esperanza High School’s Cross Country Team Looking for New Teammates

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Art Student Of The Week: Jasmine Pham

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Showcase

“Orange is the New Black” is also the Color of Success for Alumni, Heather Jeng Bladt

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Wisteria Flower Tunnel in Japan Attracts Visitors from Around the World

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Science and Technology

Heartfelt Organization Sponsors Heart Screenings at Esperanza and El Dorado High Schools

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Showcase

BYMS Band Director, Rita Watson, to Retire at the End of June

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Showcase

BYMS Winter Guard Wins First Place in Championships

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo

Join the Matador Messenger!

• Endangered Black Rhino Is Born in the Australian Zoo