Filed under Features

Is Your Kid’s Lemonade Stand Legal?

As summer makes its way around the corner, kids start wanting to make money for summer fun. According to mnn.com; babysitting, lawn mowing, walking dogs, and lemonade stands are popular ways that kids make money but is having a lemonade stand legal?

Two weeks ago, Utah passed a law that lemonade stands are in fact legal, according to mnn.com.

CNBC stated that more and more police and local code enforcement officials have closed lemonade stands because kids and parents were unable to produce proper permits and health department licenses.

In the United States, are over 55 cities have restrictions for anyone creating a lemonade stand without a license, according to CNBC.

Three sisters in Las Cruces, New Mexico, started a front-yard drink stand and they even got a permit to do so from at least one city department. Nevertheless, on July 9, 2004, a different city department demanded the stand be shut down for lack of a different kind of license according to mofreedom.org.

“We looked at it as one of those areas that are very common for all of us when we are growing up… and making sure it was wasn’t causing a nuisance in the community,” Greg Rice, the planning & development director for the city of Dunedin, Florida, said when interviewed by CNBC.

For years the Westbury family had sold lemonade, cookies, and banana bread from the end of their driveway in Hopkinton, Massachusetts to spectators at the Boston Marathon; the family donated the proceeds to Relay for Life, an anti-cancer charity.  But on April 16, 2012, city health officials shut them down because they had not obtained a permit according to mofreedom.org.

In 2011, Georgia police officers shut down a lemonade stand run by three little girls because they did it have the proper licenses’ to sell food according to mnn.com.

In Texas, two young girls were trying to raise money to buy tickets to got to the amusement park for father’s day. The girls were told that they didn’t need a permit, but after they received one, they were told that they would also need a food-handling permit from the health department.

Fortunately, later, they settled the disagreement by setting up another lemonade stand and sell the beverages for free but still accepting any tips given. (The girls received hundreds of dollars in tips as well as free tickets to the amusement park owners.)