Filed under Features

Candy as Cattle Feed?

concordsoftwareandexecutiveconsulting.com

With the price of corn rising to about $315 a pound while candy sprinkles are $150, some farmers in Dodge County, Wisconsin is turning to such options as candy and other sugary food options such as cookies, marshmallows, and fruit loops to feed their cattle.

People on social media were talking about feeding cows candy since skittles were spilled all over the road in Wisconsin. “The Skittles were intended to be feed for cattle as they did not make the cut for packaging at the company,” the Dodge County Police Department stated on their facebook page.

“There’s no little ‘S’ on them, but you can definitely smell; it’s a distinct Skittles smell,” Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt stated.

Later confirming, the Dodge County Police Department said that the skittles were on a flatbed truck and gave way since it was raining and spilled all over a highway.

Feeding cows candy may be a great option for candy manufacturers and cattle farmers, but is it good for the cows and the consumers?

Cows are designed to eat grass and roughage, not sweets. They chew and digest it slowly to transform nutrients into healthy proteins according to fox61.com.

Skittles fox61.com

16 Responses to “Candy as Cattle Feed?”

1. Kai Nihira on February 27th, 2017 10:25 am

I enjoyed learning about a new idea on feeding cattle candy.

2. Dylan on February 27th, 2017 12:11 pm

This actually a really cool and interesting article, however I hope this doesn’t backfire and lead to health issues for the consumers

3. Eric Berndt on February 27th, 2017 1:35 pm

It is interesting how the American consumers and producers keep looking for cheaper alternatives for products, not caring too much about the repercussions, and this article paints a vivid painting of the world we live in today.

4. Cindy Wang on February 27th, 2017 2:26 pm

I was surprised to learn from reading your article that cattles can actually eat candies. I wonder what would happen to these cattles that eat those candies.

5. Kaden Collie on February 27th, 2017 2:28 pm

I was surprised to learn from your article how bad cows are being treated in America. Hopefully things will change.

6. Angela Booth on February 27th, 2017 3:02 pm

This article is quite an interesting read and I want to know if the farmers continue to feed their cows candy or go back to the more expensive corn to save their cattle.

7. Elise Eckburg on February 27th, 2017 9:11 pm

Reading this article helped me to understand the real dangers of eating meat these days due to the rising amounts of cattle fed like this.

8. Tori on February 28th, 2017 9:09 am

This is a really interesting article. I didn’t know farmers feed cattle candy.

9. Eric Stratford on March 2nd, 2017 8:34 am

I thought that this was an interesting topic and I found it cool that cattle were fed candy. Well written article.

10. Carter Topel on March 2nd, 2017 11:23 am

I think this article was very interesting, but I find it weird that farmers would turn to candy. Isn’t there a cheaper and healthier option?

11. Matthew Yee on March 2nd, 2017 2:35 pm

This was a very interesting article and I was surprised when I learned that farmers are feeding their cattle candy. I hope this doesn’t cause new health concerns for the consumers.

12. Karina Di Ponio on March 2nd, 2017 7:05 pm

This article is very interesting and has good details.

13. Krissy Kuwahara on March 3rd, 2017 8:02 am

Interesting topic, I had know idea they could be feed candy.

14. Joshiebigmac rawrxd on March 3rd, 2017 11:20 am

I really enjoyed reading your article because feeding cows candy sounded really funny and interesting!

15. Spencer on March 3rd, 2017 11:25 am

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that some people can be very cheap. Also the farmers should care more about what there merchandise eats.

16. Victor Wen on March 3rd, 2017 2:24 pm

This article was very fun and interesting. I do not think it is a good idea for farmers to feed cattle candy, as it can greatly impact their health and lifespan.

• Science and Technology

You Never Knew these Cool Inventions Existed

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

How to Maintain a Relationship With....

How to Maintain a Healthy Relationship with Law Enforcement

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Breaking News

Profusion of Poppies Brings Bumper to Bumper Traffic

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Showcase

Seventy Year Old Woman Runs 7 Marathons On 7 Continents In 7 Days

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

BYMS Wears Green For St. Patrick’s Day

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Hot Topics

Two Faults in the San Francisco Bay Area Are ‘Holding Hands’

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Showcase

BYMS Jazz Band Takes First Place at Western States Jazz Festival

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Kickstarter of the Week

Fantom Wallet: Kickstarter of the Week

• Candy as Cattle Feed?

Showcase

BYMS Advanced Drama to Perform “Hairspray Jr.”

• Candy as Cattle Feed?