Filed under Features

Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

animals.nationalgeographic.com

animals.nationalgeographic.com

The Amur Tiger will be reintroduced to Kazakhstan and later be moved to parts of Central Asia, according to mnn.com.

The Caspian Tiger, one of the largest cats to ever live, roamed in the wilds of the Middle East and Central Asia experienced threats of habitat loss and hunting which eventually drifted them into extinction during the 1970s, according to mnn.com. The Amur tiger is also known as the Siberian tiger. It is estimated that there are around 500 Amur tigers in the world, which averages up to 11 feet with a tail up to one meter long.

They live primarily in eastern Russia’s birch forests, even though some exist in China and South Korea. An adult male can weigh up to 700 pounds, while females significantly smaller and weigh up to 400 pounds, according to animalfactguide.com.

“First, it is necessary to stop riparian zone degradation caused by uncontrolled fires. Second, it is vital to restoring wild ungulate, a hoofed mammal, populations in the area. That, alone, could take five to 15 years,” Mikhail Paltsyn, an ESF doctoral candidate who oversaw analytical aspects of the study, according to sciencedaily.com.

The tigers could potentially flourish in a zone near the Lli River and the coast of the Balkhash Lake in Kazakhstan. A number of hurdles include water regulation by both Kazakhstan and China, a restoration of the tiger’s prey and safety concerns from local populations need to be addressed before the experiment can begin, according to nypost.com.

Even though reintroduction of the tigers is years away, it still has support by the Balkhash Nature Reserve and local communities in Kazakhstan, stated the nypost.com.

16 Responses to “Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again”

1. Joshua on January 26th, 2017 10:44 am

I enjoyed reading your article because it was very interesting and I LOVE TIGERS!!!

2. Ashlynn Hudak on January 30th, 2017 10:30 am

I really enjoyed this article it had great facts and lots of information. It was a very well written article. Good Job!!!

3. mackenzie on January 30th, 2017 1:14 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because it was very well written and it had an interesting topic.

4. David Sanchez on January 30th, 2017 1:33 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned a lot about tigers.

5. Dylan Shih on January 30th, 2017 1:43 pm

I enjoyed your article. It’s nice knowing those tigers will be back to their natural habitat.

6. Kayla Asmus on January 30th, 2017 5:52 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because it informed me more about tigers and made more interested in them!

7. Joshua Cosmas on January 30th, 2017 11:13 pm

I am so happy that tigers are beginning to repopulate Central Asia. It is their habitat and we humans have deprived tigers and other species from enjoying it.

8. Amal Suesh on January 31st, 2017 1:33 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned that Amur tigers mainly lived in Russia, and I didn’t know that Russia had rare wild animals living in it.

9. Kaylee Barkley on January 31st, 2017 1:34 pm

Great job! I love how you used a lot of detail in this article.

10. Anon on January 31st, 2017 3:42 pm

I really hope that these Amur Tigers are able to roam in Central Asia again!

11. Larissa Forsyth on February 1st, 2017 10:05 am

I really enjoyed reading this article. There were so many interesting facts.

12. Julian Mercado on February 1st, 2017 10:10 am

Hopefully the same will happen to pandas and their near extinction.

13. Olivia Yerkes on February 2nd, 2017 1:16 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because there were a lot of facts that drew me into reading more and finding out more about these species. Good Job!

14. connor vedder on February 2nd, 2017 2:50 pm

I enjoyed your articles because I learned a lot about different tigers.

15. Matthew Nguyen on February 2nd, 2017 8:59 pm

I enjoyed reading your article because I learned about a new species of tiger that I never even knew existed.

16. Victor Wen on February 2nd, 2017 9:16 pm

I thought that this was a very interesting and informative article. I hope that the tigers come off the endangered species list.

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

Showcase

BYMS Track Team Wins PYLUSD R.E.A.C.H Foundation Track Meet

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

Showcase

BYMS Advanced Drama Performs Hairspray Jr.

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

PE Student of The Week: Bailey Speakman

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

Showcase

EHS ROTC Provides Military Training and Potential Scholarships

• Scientists Have Found Evidence That Tigers May Roam Central Asia Again

How to Maintain a Relationship With....

How to Maintain a Healthy Relationship with Your Grandparents