Filed under Breaking News

Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Habitat Loss, Toxic Chemicals, Human Inference, and Light Pollution May be to Blame.

fromthelabench.com

fromthelabench.com

Fireflies are rapidly disappearing and experts have pinpointed the disappearances to four potential reasons: habitat loss, toxic chemicals from factories, or from other human inference, and finally light pollution which happens when light spreads in every direction, according to mnn.com.

“It’s like a mystery insect”, according to Anchana Tancharoen, an environmental scientist, according to nbcnews.com.

“The firefly populations have dropped 70 percent, in the past three years,” said Preecha Jiabyu, a former teacher, stated nbcnews.com.

Fireflies are mostly located in Central and South America; and in tropical Asia, according to  mnn.com.

Fireflies also can communicate with each other with morse code. Environmental scientist Anchana Tancharoen determined the more flashes of fireflies make indicating love and danger, explained  nbcnews.com.

“As the human population continues to grow, more and more wild habitat will be developed for our use. As long as we keep interrupting forest land with houses, turning meadows into lawns and paving over wetlands, the fewer fireflies there will be unless we start living in some radically different ways,” wrote Starre Vartan an environmental journalist, mnn.com.

The other problem is light population female and male fireflies use their lights to communicate with each other to find a mate. If they can’t find each other, then they will not be able to create other fireflies, according to mnn.com.

Entrepreneurs in China are building special parks to preserve fireflies. “One of the first of these parks, in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, is home to more than 10,000 fireflies,” stated Eric Chaney, weather.com.

Some interesting facts about fireflies include that the larvae are carnivores while adult fireflies just feed on nectar and pollen. Fireflies also can change their light to yellow, green, or orange according to simthsonianmag.com.

1 Comment

One Response to “Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing”

1. Angela Booth on June 8th, 2017 8:47 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article because it gives an interesting perspective to such small creatures that honestly people don’t have the time to see. I hope that there can be an update on how the firefly community continues to struggle for survival.

[Reply]

*

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Showcase

TStreet Volleyball Team Player, Elyse Stowell: “We encourage each other to be better people and players”

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Campus Life

Esperanza High School’s Cross Country Team Looking for New Teammates

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Campus Life

Art Student Of The Week: Jasmine Pham

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Showcase

“Orange is the New Black” is also the Color of Success for Alumni, Heather Jeng Bladt

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Features

Wisteria Flower Tunnel in Japan Attracts Visitors from Around the World

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Science and Technology

Heartfelt Organization Sponsors Heart Screenings at Esperanza and El Dorado High Schools

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Showcase

BYMS Band Director, Rita Watson, to Retire at the End of June

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Showcase

BYMS Winter Guard Wins First Place in Championships

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Campus Life

Join the Matador Messenger!

• Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing

Campus Life

BYMS Elects New Officers for 2017-2018 School Year

Fireflies are Rapidly Disappearing